They are here and I can't stop smiling

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Pollita2016, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Pollita2016

Pollita2016 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2016
    Thank you to the kind welcomes and ovations sorry I haven't been on here much things have been pretty hectic! So we picked up the chicks : 2 Ameraucanas ( I actually believe they are EE) 1 Golden laced Wyndotte, Astralorp , Amberlink, Rockbar . I'm not complaining but boy are they a bunch of little poopers! So I have a question, yesterday's poop was all yellowish and today black and white I think this is normal but I want to make sure. They seem to be very content no huddling lots of exploring but very quite unless we pick them up or move something in the brooder.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! When you say you "picked them up" - was this from the hatchery/breeder directly, from the post office (mail order) or from a retail store? The current waste you are seeing is normal, yes, and the change you noted could be a couple of things - if they were "day-olds" when you got them you are looking at their system just getting going and then learning to process feed, if they were a little older and had already been on feed then the change could be that their systems felt stressed by the upheaval (going yellow) and then resettling (returning to normal waste).

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  4. Pollita2016

Mar 22, 2016
    We actually went to the hatchery to get them "The Poultry Hatchery" in Clifton springs any is only 30 min away. This is day 4 and they are doing great. Only one case of pasty butt and We check several times a day. We switched fount and feeder because the ones in the start up kit were too flimsy even after glueing rocks to the bottom to stabilize [​IMG] We have a small room that I have kept at 80 and they seem to have little need for the reptile lamp we choose to use. Poop is mixed at this point some yellow some black and white and some a little loose. They appear happy so I think we are doing OK so far

5. Pollita2016

Mar 22, 2016
    Thank you for the links! They are different than the learning center I believe. My husband thinks I'm a walking chicken encyclopedia but I like to learn and do the vey best I can.

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Great news and well done so far! I'm sure they will grow to be healthy and happy little campers [​IMG]

CT

7. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    [​IMG] Congratulations on your new chicks!

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

10. Pollita2016

Mar 22, 2016
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by