They are here!! Arrived 9:00pm Sunday night. PICS ADDED

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LoneCowboy, Feb 17, 2008.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Believe it or not, the Post Office sort center called at 9:00, the chicks just came through the door. I rushed right out to get them. I wasn't quite ready for them this late at night. I was already in bed!! Oh well, I went and got them and blasted the heater all the way home. I've got them in storage boxes now. Bantams in one regulars in the other. I either lost count, or I have extras. They are all drinking like crazy. But I don't know if I'll be able to keep them warm enough tonight. I need more lights. [​IMG]

Pictures tomorrow.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Now that is awesome........even if you were almost in bed.on a Sunday night? way nice of them........... you may end up having to snuggle them warm [​IMG]

3. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    Congrats on your new chicks! [​IMG]

4. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    Congrats! You must have a pretty responsible PO... Ours would probably have let them sit there until 11 am when they get done "sorting the packages" as we have been told countless times. [​IMG]

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

That was nice of them to call.....When I used to order chicks my PO would at least call me right away at 6 am when they first came in.

6. LoneCowboy

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    There were a bunch of chick orders there. I walked in the door and just followed the chirping noise till I found somebody. The other packages were smaller than mine. I hope they come get them since they won't have as many to keep them warm.

I've added some of the smaller chicks to the bantam box to give more room. Changed the 100 watt bulb out for a 250 and hung it above the bigger brooder box. I'm just waiting now for temps to level out so I can go to bed.

I found a Mancala game in the cabinet so I took all the glass rocks out and washed them up and put them in the bantams waterer. They are all drinking like crazy.

I'd like to give them food, but I'm afraid there isn't room. I might just put it on the towel they are on. I'd like to know that they are all eating a drinking before I take them to the outside brooder tomorrow. It's so much harder to keep an eye on them out there.

7. LoneCowboy

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I decided that sprinkling food in little piles all over was a good idea. they are totally snarfing it down. And being much quieter in the process. [​IMG]

I'm so tired. I need to go to bed. I just want to make sure the temps get regulated so they don't get too hot.

8. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    awesome!

and brownie points for you local post - that's fantastic.

9. LoneCowboy

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Ok, I'm pooped. I checked on them a few times through the night. This morning I changed all the towels they were on. they got them all wet walking in the water then walking on the towel. What messy boogers.

I divided them up into smaller brooder boxes too. I need to move them out, but I want them to dry a bit (got a little wet playing in the water. Can't find one of my chick waterers and feeders. I want to make sure they know how to eat out of the feeders before I move them out too. I might be pushing them a little, but there are 79 of them. Got to get them going in the right direction fast.

Went out to check on the big girls and the other chicks. The breaker blew sometime last night. It was really cold in the other brooder about 40 deg. They are 3.5 weeks old and huddled together. I hope they will be ok. I feel a crazy day coming on. [​IMG]

10. LoneCowboy

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    OK, here they are. I've got them divided into smaller groups right now so they are easier to handle. They are finally resting a bit. Which means they are quieter. Boy 79 cranky, cold, little chicks sure make some ear percing noise.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by