They are here!!! Lots of Pics, and lets Play "ID that Chick"

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HaileyandJoliesMom, Aug 16, 2008.

1. HaileyandJoliesMom

HaileyandJoliesMom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    I was waiting on a call from the post office this morning and it never came, but around 8am the mail man knocked on the door with my baby chicks!!! I dont normally see him till around 10:30 so he came by early to drop them off, what a nice guy. The only thing he said to me as he was walking off the porch was "They are LOUD!!" LOL. We had 3 DOA, and lost one about 30 minutes after they arrived. 40 were in the box so we are down to 36 [​IMG]. Ive had a few pasty butts but they are settling in nicely

They are supposed to be the 25 brown egg layers and 10 ee's. The ee's are marked so i know who they are. First lets play ID that chick if you guys dont mind, and I have tons of pics of the lil buggers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

# 3 I love this lil girl, with her feathered feet!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    #5 this one has white wing feathers coming in
    [​IMG]
    T#6 this one has feathered feet too and is soooo sweet
    [​IMG]
    #7Has a yellow spot on its head. Sexlink maybe??
    [​IMG]
    #8 i think this one is an Austrolop??
    [​IMG]

And lots of other pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    The white winged one could be a white rock... that's what mine looked like.

What a bunch of cuties.

3. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    OH what cuties!!

I so want to order a Brown Egg Layer assortment, but must wait until we are moved and settled. May have to wait until next spring [​IMG]

4. HaileyandJoliesMom

Jul 13, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    They are definetly sweeties, Ive been searching online trying to figure out what the heck they are!!! Heres the ones that they could be. Any guesses?
    Black Australorps; Lt. Brahmas; Dark Cornish; Black and White Giants; Buff and White Orpingtons; New Hampshire, Rhode Island Reds, Barred, White, Partridge, Buff Rocks;Deleware, Sussex, Turkens; White, Silver Laced, & Columbian Wyandottes, Red Star and Black Star.

White rock is one there so that might be what the lil yellow is.

5. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    I would say the first 2 are either Golden Sex Link or Rhode Island Red, and the one with the spot on its head is a Barred Rock. They are so cute!!!!

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    The black ones with the white spot on the top of the head are your barred rocks.

The light reddish one is probably a New Hampshire or red sexlink. The darker red, probably RIR.

The ones with fluffy cheeks are the EEs - they are usually chipmunk striped, but can really look like anything. I think I see a chocolate brown one in there.

I think you're right on the australorp guess.

I see a blue chick, but I don't see anything on your're list for that. I would guess maybe blue cochin because of the feathered legs. ??

They are all adorable. Thanks for sharing pics.

Jody

7. HaileyandJoliesMom

Jul 13, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Thanks for the replies everyone!!!

Im assuming the blues are just extra's since nothing on the list seems to have feather feet and "Blue" feathers. They are very sweet and Im hoping they turn out to be girls since I was told the extra's are normally boys.

Im just in love with these guys, The youngest babies Ive had were 2 weeks and Ive never ordered from a hatchery before so this is pretty exciting for me and my kids.

Everytime I look in the brooder they are doing something that makes me say "AWWW" LOL

The lil yellow one in the last pick with a red spot on her head is supposed to be an EE, she is sooo mean. She chases the lil white rocks and barred rocks around. She also seems bigger than the others and likes to trample them. Should I seperate her or just keep a close eye on everyone??

8. mamato3

mamato3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    SWMissouri
    They are all so cute. Were did you get them from? we are getting 25 brown egg layers from estes hatchery. from what ive seen on the net chick 1 and 2 are rir or new hampshire reds, chick 4 looks like a ee, 7 a barred rock and 8 is a Austrolop

9. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    The feather footed ones may very well be brahmas. My light brahma hen lays brown eggs. They are ohhh sooo adorable!!! Makes me want more babies but then i think about the entire summer being lost because i spent it raising baby fuzz butts lol

10. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    # 3 & # 6 look like they could be Blue Cochin Standard, They do lay brown eggs small to medium, they have a single comb. [​IMG]
    or Brahma they lay creamy brown eggs but they have a pea comb. [​IMG]
    u should be able to see what type of comb there are gonna have. [​IMG]
    if there single comb u should see a couple of tiny tiny points. [​IMG]
    #8 looks like a Black Australorp [​IMG]
    #7 looks like a Barred Plymouth Rock [​IMG]
    #5 could be a White Plymouth Rock [​IMG]
    #2 looks like a Buckeye has a pea comb. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by