They are never going to lay are they?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Erin K, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Erin K

Erin K Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    I love my pullets. They don't HAVE to lay... but I love eggs too.

Mid April - Araucanna (sp?)
    May 9th - Barred Rock
    Mid July - Silver Laced Wyandotte.

The first two should be laying right?

They are free range a LOT but I keep looking everywhere and not finding eggs. Do I need to look harder? Keep them in for a day or two? Or is it still possible they are just not ready?

I tried to talk to them about it but they just said, "Stop yapping and give us more treats Treat Lady." So I did because I want them to love me so I just do what they tell me.

Do I need to REALLY search the yard? Would they get up under the shed to lay? That's the only place I can't really see. I could get a flashlight..

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Ameraucanas/EEs can take 6 months to start laying. You read sometimes folks find their EE starting to lay at even 7 months!!!

I would do an egg search if you can, but they are not outside the norm yet.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Ameraucanas, Araucanas, and Easter Eggers are all three very separate things [​IMG]

I recall you do have real Araucanas though yes? Didn't I see you post there? Or am I confusing you with someone else? Because from the other breeds you're listing I'm guessing EE's.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry. I've got a handful of pullets of different breeds, all born from March to April and no one has given me an egg yet. Takes patience. [​IMG]

Araucanas though I usually expect to lay within 17-23 weeks.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I'm sure you have provided them a nest boxs with some fake eggs to show them where to lay right? Usually before they start laying they will check the boxes out.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Be patient. They will lay. [​IMG]

6. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    I have three EE's who were born on April 6 and none of them are laying yet. Thankfully, I have some other breeds that are laying so the dreaded egg wait is over for me. But I do know how you feel. Hang in there!

7. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    When you give up on them, they'll surprise you with eggs [​IMG]

8. TroutsChicks

TroutsChicks Fluffy Stuffins

Jun 5, 2011
    baxter Tn
    my BR's haven't started laying yet, this sat they will be 21 weeks, but my RIR started laying at 19/20 right on the turning 20 weeks. still waiting on them and the BA's. They should start soon... the pullet eggs are so cool! I got to watch one of my RIR lay it and then pick it up and the bloom dried in my hand. IT was REALLY warm, i then fried it while it was still warm!

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Of course they are. <* pat pat pat *>

On their own schedule. You don't want them to start too soon, as accelerated maturity is not good for them and burns them out too young. (Pullets are hatched with every embryonic egg they will ever lay, just like Treat Ladies are born with every egg follicle they will ever ovulate.)

It's a rare hen that is truly barren.

10. papinator

papinator Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2011
    Des Moines
    I have 2 RIRs that I was told were born in January, and they are being pretty stingy with their egg laying (1 egg every other day is about right).. but I just bought them 3 weeks ago, so it may take some time for them to settle in... although I'd say they have to be pretty settled by now.... I also have 2 americaunas that I was told were born in March... I have yet to see any blue/green eggs... but they've started making nests outside in the backyard about the same time each afternoon, so they should be pretty darn close!

Keep waiting! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by