They are not staying!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sassyredchick, Apr 10, 2017.

1. sassyredchick

sassyredchick Just Hatched

Mar 31, 2017
    KS
    I'm a farm girl who married a city boy. I am the answer to the joke, Why did the chickens cross the road?!?...Literally!!! Last summer two beautiful Rhode Island Red hens crossed into my yard. We live in the middle of town...a big town...a city. We tried to find the owners. My husband was on the news, the city launched a Facebook inquiry, he was on the radio...nobody came forward. We were told to call the police to have the chickens picked up for one of the shelters. I couldn't do it. The hubby couldn't either, although he kept repeating, "They are not staying." Next thing I know he is researching chicken coops on the internet and building one in the basement...but they are not staying. Meanwhile the girls start laying for us...but they aren't staying. The kids have fallen in love and now they have names...but they are not staying. The coop is finished, the backyard is a happy place and my girls (what the hubby calls them) are happy and lovable. Over spring break we went to Orschelans...uh oh! A Barred rock and Buff Orpington fell into the cart with all the stuff they need. The hubby found the thread with big coops and runs on here and is cutting wood on our driveway as I type. It's his week off and the girls are a priority...but they are not staying!!!
    Hubby has his eye on an Americana and Silver Laced Wyandotte but wants to go with my son to pick them out next spring. This has become a fun ride!!!
    And YES we can have backyard chickens in town...who knew?!?!?

2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under sassyredchick [​IMG] Welcome!

Thank you for the funny introduction story and chuckle .. loved it!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    As long as they are not staying, the sky is the limit, why stop at chickens, get ducks, geese, swans, guineas, quail, Emu's why not? It's not like they will be staying.

Wish you the best of luck with your flock.

5. bathound

bathound Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2017
    East Tennessee
    That's a great story! Welcome!

6. sassyredchick

Mar 31, 2017
    KS
    As long as they are not staying, the sky is the limit, why stop at chickens, get ducks, geese, swans, guineas, quail, Emu's why not? It's not like they will be staying.

I dig your line of thinking for sure!!;)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  7. KlioLynne

KlioLynne New Egg

Apr 11, 2017
    That is so sad that no one ever claimed their birds!! Way to go for keeping them!!! Haha.

8. sassyredchick

Mar 31, 2017
    KS
    These gals are so sweet and pretty, I could not believe nobody wanted them back. Their loss is my gain I suppose!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by