They are one--the 9 week old & the 5 week old chicks are together!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cjatthefarm, Jan 2, 2011.

1. cjatthefarm

cjatthefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2010
    Tucson
    I know everyone said to wait, but the little guys were so crowded in that brooder box it was getting cruel.

So, I closed the door and let the little guys get used to their new home, again. 'Cause I had let them out one day last week.

Then, I opened the door after a couple of hours--and the girls were only too curious to know why they had been 'shut out'! It was great! One of the leghorn gals are always the first in the door; so in she walks. Instantly, one of the wheat colored little one came right up to her!! They stared at one another for a full 15 seconds! Then, the leghorn turn aside and lost interest. Perfect, huh?!!

A couple more hens & roosters looked in; ran at the little ones a couple of steps, then went back outside! [​IMG]

They showed even less interest at bedtime. They claimed their places and everyone settled in for the night. The little gals on the floor in shavings under the lamp!

I know it is not through. I know there are positions to be established. But! It wasn't bad, perhaps because the brooder box was right there. Every time I changed the kids water--which was often as large as they were--and since there were 15 of them! The big kids were looking in on, and hearing every peep!!!

It's only 20 degrees this morning, so the little ones stayed in after the big kids went out. I plan to have an area in the run where the 'positions' can be established safely!!!![​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Deanner03

Deanner03 The Cake Queen

That is such a nerve-wracking procedure. I'm glad it has worked out so far! Keep us updated!

3. cjatthefarm

Aug 26, 2010
    Tucson
    Before I got more chicks, I did my homework. I read on this forum that unless I wanted to have to quarantine any new chicks; to get them from a hatchery. So, I did; I got them from the same hatchery.

The brooder box was built to go inside on the wall of the new coop. The plans for the brooder box came from this forum. So, everyone saw and heard everyone for weeks.

I understood the concept of 'pecking order'. I understood there would be fussing. At nine weeks the little ones were 'almost' as large as the 13 week ones were.

However, there has been chasing and squawking. In fact, as of now, the big kids won't let the little girls go out the chute! They just chase them back....no blood, not feathers lost. Just I'm in charge here--not you!

But, I tell the little girls to hang in there, they are 15 in number. The big girls and 4 boys (soon to be 2 boys) are smaller in number--and soon the tables will turn! They are bigger everyday and there is strength in number.

So I have done it well & smart, no matter what anyone thinks!!!!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  4. cjatthefarm

Aug 26, 2010
    Tucson
    Quote:Thank you Deanner03, for your support! It's GOING!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by