they are outside from now!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 688peterl, Dec 5, 2009.

1. 688peterl

688peterl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    i had them in the run for a few hours on wednesday, half the day on thursday and all day yesterday i think they are ready for a sleepover in the run lol, i have stuffed the house side full of straw (but i dont think they will go in anyway) and put lots of straw in the spot where they sit and covered the run with tarpaulin if thats how you spell it its that thick plastic stuff and no water or wind can get in so im sure they will be fine... it is below freezing here (i think) but they nearly have all their feathers and its not going to get warm any time soon i hope they are ok [​IMG]

2. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Those ducklings most definitely do not have enough feathers to withstand below freezing temperatures without an artificial heat source. I doubt that either of them would survive one night. The pics you posted yesterday looked like they didn't have any feathers on their backs yet. If it is cold enough where you are that water is freezing, your ducklings are going to need to stay inside for at least a few more weeks until they are almost completely feathered. We put ours out at about 5 weeks when it is the middle of summer and doesn't get below the high 50's at night. I would never put 4 week old babies out in below freezing weather.

3. eggybritches

eggybritches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    I know how stinky babies can be in the house, but I agree with ^ on this one. It is way too cold. I put my babies out at three weeks but I live in Florida, and it didn't get below 70 until just recently. It's way too cold for them.

4. Shadowhills Farm

Shadowhills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Crystal River, Fl
    Agree, do whats best for the ducklings....

5. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Everyone who has replied has told you this is not a good idea, here and in your other topics... I'm just very confused as to why you would leave them outside after everyone in your first topic told you not to (even your mom said not to). Baby ducks are born in spring when it's warmer and they've got mother's to keep them warm... yours were born at the very end of fall, in a normally cold climate with no mother... If your ducks due not make it, don't be surprised... I just don't know why you would ask for advice from those of us who've done this many times, only to disregard our warnings... If they are still fighting, the added stress from being outside could kill them even quicker than the cold. What few precious feathers louis had are being plucked out by donald... This is like throwing a four year old outside with no coat and saying, "Good luck!"

We all know how stinky baby ducks are, that's all part of it. I have 2, soon to be four (2 new ducklings coming in a week or so) that live inside of my house all of the time... You should see how disgusting their pen gets... how we often wretch when dumping water/food pans and steam cleaning and scrubbing poop off of the pen.... but we do it, because we have to. my bf Joe does a good portion of the work, and they aren't even his ducks. they were 7-8 months old when we met but he's taken on the role anyways... Ducks are messy smelly animals, no matter what you do to prevent messes and smells....

6. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
    this thread just made me totally paranoid ive brought them in now

7. Le Canard de Barbarie

Le Canard de Barbarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Quote:If you haven't already, run a small light or heat lamp in their pen. Sixty to 125 watts should be fine. This way they can get a little warmth if needed. Otherwise they should do fine outside.

8. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
    Quote:If you haven't already, run a small light or heat lamp in their pen. Sixty to 125 watts should be fine. This way they can get a little warmth if needed. Otherwise they should do fine outside.

nah i cant my mum went ape over the last elec bill im just gonna wait until they have all their feathers i have brought them in now

9. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
    so how long until they get all the feathers???

10. eggybritches

eggybritches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    I'd say at about six weeks. Mine are almost fully feathered and they're around six weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by