They are pecking his rear end!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wvchickenhouse, Nov 7, 2011.

1. wvchickenhouse

wvchickenhouse Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    Pax, WV
    I have a Roo that I brought into my flock of Leghorns. The first week was rough, they pecked his butt clean to the point it was bleeding so I separated them for a couple of weeks. They did really good for a few weeks and now have started pecking him again! What can I do to help him? I have 5 leghorns and 1 roo... do I need more chickens. Is it a breeding thing with him and them or what? Help please...

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Spray some Blue Coat on his bottom, and he will have a bright blue butt, which looks terrible, but then the hens won't be attracted to that color. Unfortunately, when they see blood or red, irritated skin, they find that very exciting and want to peck it.

Is your rooster young? Usually a rooster won't put up with that, and will put a hen in it's place.

3. wvchickenhouse

wvchickenhouse Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    Pax, WV
    Yes, my Roo is only 6 months old. Does the Blue Coat have medicine in it also?

4. RoosterRidge

RoosterRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Dry Fork, Va.
    Hope it works for you but like everyone has told me pinless peepers are the way to go. We had 2 pecked to death and one would have died had she not gotten into the nest box to stop the pecking. Thankfully we found her in time and I was able to stop the bleeding. Her whole rump was in shreds but after 2 wks of R&R she was fine. I give them protein rich treats and meat every chance I get. Our Leghorns were peckers when they were little but have not seen them being aggressive lately. Good luck...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by