They Are sleeping outside!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by OPIE, Jan 14, 2009.

1. OPIE

OPIE Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Freeman Mo.
    Its 25 degrees outside, I just went out to check on them and they were all outside huddled up against the coop!!!! I have had a heat lamp in there the last couple nights, do you think they are bothered by this and dont want to be in the coop at night because of the light?

2. Nikki28

Nikki28 David Bowie is my co-pilot

Dec 15, 2008
    My girls only go up when the heat lamp is on. If it is off they get confused and go under their coop.....I guess that didn't help you much but it's all I've got.

3. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Well probably not they more then likely just like it outside. I have 2 roosters outside that won't go in either. I am not sure what the temp is here, but there is ice covering everything here for the first time all year. I tried to put them up, but the just ran off, now everytime I open the back door they see me and run. I though that they would sleep sound and I could get them, but no. Hope yours and mine are ok in the morning.

4. Eastins Eggs

Eastins Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Ceresco Nebraska
    Is something scaring them? Check for a predator or noise maybe a bad draft. Are other chickens picking on them? If not that you may need to lock them in the coop for a few days to force them to use the coop.

5. minifarm8

minifarm8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Hagerstown, MD
    I have several chickens that never sleep in the coop no matter how cold or even rainy it gets. They will wonder in and out during the day but sleep under the stars at night. I quit worrying about it. It has been in the low 20's here already. I go out in the morning afraid of what I will find but they are always clucking and scratching around.

6. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    My barred rocks will not sleep in the coop unless I put them in it and block it where they can not come out. I have no idea why.

7. OPIE

OPIE Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Freeman Mo.
    Well this all makes me feel better. I blocked them in last night. I checked the coop, theres nothing inside it as far as a predator goes. They lay in there nesting boxes and such, they must just like it outside. My roo has gotten some frostbite on his comb and wattles though and am noticing some on the hens to.

8. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Some silly animals just really like the cold. One of my dogs was begging to get outside this morning to run around in the freezing cold...and the other is sleeping on a nice warm pillow thinking the other is just plain dumb [​IMG]

When I was driving my kiddos to school, I saw more chickens than usual out running around outside. [​IMG] Now, this is Texas and it rarely gets below freezing in my area, but last night was in the upper 20's and everything is frosty.

9. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Mine are the same way. [​IMG]

10. chiknlady

chiknlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    SE PA
    It could be the ventilation in the coop as well. Even in the winter they need a good air supply. If you can see cobwebs in the corners or the rafters--then you have a ventilation issue. If there is any ammonia smell--that is another sign that there is not enough air flow in their coop. You can layer the bedding and add stall dri or DE to absorb any moisture. If they are happy--so be it--I just had a bad experience with predators for the diehards who just wanted to be free....

Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by