They are so noisy!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by disneypixie49, Jul 13, 2010.

1. disneypixie49

disneypixie49 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2010
    For the past few days I have been waking up at 5:00 because one of my three hens keeps crowing her beak off. I live in the suburbs so we have close neighbors and my family just recently complained to one of our neighbors because of the loud racket their dogs were making. I don't want to be a hypocrite! We let them out of the run in the afternoon, but now they seem like they expect to be let out in the early morning too. Is there anything that I can do to stop them from waking up the neighborhood? [​IMG]

2. crazy chook

crazy chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    Is she laying an egg at that time and letting every one know?

3. Annabella

Annabella Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    Can they be contained in their coop until a little later in the morning. If its not too hot.
    I find mine are quieter if kept "in the dark" [​IMG]

4. NanoByte

NanoByte Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    Sydney
    Hens will cackle loudly when they lay new eggs so that may be why,

5. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    My buff orp makes lots of noise when she wants food.

6. Leia's Chickens

Leia's Chickens A Sunkissed Delight

Jun 20, 2010
    Oklahoma!
    Ours make a tremendous racket until they are let out once it starts to get light out.

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Are you SURE she's a hen?? You said "crowing her beak off" - and at 5 AM. Uhhh... that's rooster behavior. Has she laid eggs?

Most chickens lay their eggs a bit later in the morning... not first thing at dawn. Honest.

Or is she your Head Hen and has taken over the "rooster's job.".......

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    An automatic door might help you. Then they could be out in their run exploring instead of cackling. I got mine from Foy's Pigeon Supplies and it's well worth every penny!

9. jdellosso

jdellosso Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2009
    Alameda, CA
    Mine did this...lasted a couple months, but here's what I did because now I sleep in. I crawl out of bed when I hear them, then throw them some scratch. That keeps them content for an hour or so and they seem to get into other chicken doings-scratching for bugs, etc. One day they just stopped making a fuss, now they don't make a peep until they see me through the sliding door. Good luck!

10. disneypixie49

disneypixie49 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2010
    She has laid one egg before (she hasn't laid again but they're all about 4 months old, so I'm not worrying too much) and she is definitely the top hen in the coop.
    I think that I will just try throwing some food out in the morning for them and then going back to sleep in. Thanks for all your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by