They are so smart! LOL!

Acre4Me

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Nov 12, 2017
Western Ohio
My "babies" are now 11 weeks. They have been in their coop sleeping for about 6 days. They were in a brooder box with roost bars till then as the weather was uncooperative for getting the coop finished.
Anyway, the first night in the coop, they were all huddled up in the bottom corner of the coop, but by morning were nicely settled onto the roosts. Now they are putting themselves to "bed" as the sun goes down. Last night was funny as there were only 4 hens left outside when we went to check on them (17 chickens, including 5 roosters all same age). In short order 2 more flew into the coop (it is elevated). A few minutes later another one joined them, leaving one lone hen outside who was picking at some green growth by the fence. All of a sudden she looks up and around...shocked that she is alone. She runs this way to check one end of the run...she runs the other way to check that area....no flock mates!!! She's making noise and happily her flock mates answered...she flew in to join them. Anyway, they have settled into their routine nicely, and use their roost bars and have taken to their coop quickly! Its nice to have such smart "babies" even if it is really just instinct guiding them!

Screen Shot 2018-05-20 at 10.11.01 AM.png

They really are smarter than most people give credit for :)

Who's the guy in the bottom right of your photo? Handsome dude!

They really are smarter than most people give credit for :)

Who's the guy in the bottom right of your photo? Handsome dude!

That one is an 11 week old Dark Brown Leghorn. Very aggressive already and will become dinner within the next few weeks. There is anotherDBL male on the top roost to the left. They are very attractive already with nice feather coloration. The aggressive one went after my spouse last night when he reached into the coop. Not a good sign so early (11weeks), so we don’t need the aggression in the flock from that one.

That one is an 11 week old Dark Brown Leghorn. Very aggressive already and will become dinner within the next few weeks. There is anotherDBL male on the top roost to the left. They are very attractive already with nice feather coloration. The aggressive one went after my spouse last night when he reached into the coop. Not a good sign so early (11weeks), so we don’t need the aggression in the flock from that one.

Whoa, he does sound like good soup makings! Handsome birds though.

Thanks for sharing your photo!

Back
Top Bottom