They are still standing in the pouring rain!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by noodleroo, Sep 19, 2010.

1. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    They have a nice, dry coop with nice dry food and a covered run. It has rained at least 12 inches here in the past 3 days. My backyard chickens (4 BO pullets and 1 SLW roo) are walking around and standing in at least 2 inches of water! The temperature is still in the mid 80's here so I guess they aren't cold, but good grief, this can't be good for them. We're having 'left over' moisture from Hurricane Karl and it may rain most of the rest of the week. Should I keep them locked in the coop or just not worry about this?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Send a little of the rain this way.. It hit 113 here today. HOT... I have fried chicken out there walking around.

3. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Mine don't mind the rain either.

I have the coops open for them but they just let the rain get them all wet.

Caroline

4. noodleroo

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Mahonri; I wish I could spread this out to the people that need it. My next door neighbor has water in her house and her son is taking her to their house for a few days. My poor dog has no dry ground for which to potty and neither of us are happy about that. My house is OK so far...

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Rain won't hurt them one bit. It's how my chickens get their baths.

6. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    we had a torrential downpour the other day and my chickens and guineas ignored the coop and just stood in the rain pecking around. Silly birds! They seem fine several days later so I guess it didn't hurt them.

7. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Thier feet could be suseptable to bumblefoot after standing in water/mud that long... I would make sure there is a way for them to get off the ground.. ladders ets..

8. noodleroo

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Quote:Oh yes, they have plenty of places to get out of the water. They just seem to prefer standing in it! Little idoits...

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Let them have fun, as long as they can get out of the water, is my vote! Now if it stretches into days...I vote force them to be dry awhile, to prevent infections.

10. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    They look so ratty and unkempt when they are wet.... But they will dry off, and return to proper fluffy-ness.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by