They are taking the mickey

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Nordiclaura, May 16, 2019 at 9:20 AM.

1. Nordiclaura

Nordiclaura In the Brooder

May 10, 2019
    So off to b and q I went looking for a bend to use in my homemade feeder. It's seems that here in the UK they aren't quite as useful as the ones shown on here that you can get in the US. Our are smaller or massive. Dilemma. I went for one that is about 70mm. I treated us to a big bucket of popcorn for £2, (treat for us, new feeder fro chickens) and I think I'm set.
    I've made it and it in the run however none of them are the slightest bit interested. I've popped some green leaves in to tempt them and they have scoffed all those, I've put some pellets in the bend thing so they can see them, they have scoffed those aswell. I've left them to it as I'm fairly sure they know I'm waiting for my luxury popcorn feeder to be used.
    Fingers crossed they get the idea.

123RedBeard, chkva, Shadrach and 2 others like this.
  2. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Pictures?
    Chickens sometimes don't take to new things that quickly. Depends on how bold your particular birds are.

Sequel and Texas Kiki like this.
  3. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    I'd like to see what you made too.

Give them a while to get used to the new scary thing.

Sequel likes this.
  4. Nordiclaura

May 10, 2019
    Here you go. It's on some bricks to lift it up aswell.

Attached Files:

5. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Is the opening neck high on the chickens? That will help.
    Do they like mealworms? Live ones wriggling around in there will certainly help too!

Sequel and Texas Kiki like this.
  6. Nordiclaura

May 10, 2019
    I will pop a few more bricks under it.

Sequel, DobieLover and Texas Kiki like this.
  7. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

Have you tried the popcorn? They probably know you're keeping the good stuff.;)

123RedBeard, Willowspirit and Sequel like this.
  8. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    Franky, I was absolutely appalled to read this. Of course, it's easy to see why this has happened and I can understand your distress.
    Now I mean no disrespect to our American friends but lets face it, pop corn and coke isn't really very British and the cultural nature of the chicken gets completely overlooked due to the dominance of American sites on the Internet.
    Let me give you a word of advice NordicLaura, try fish and chips. You may laugh, but when we had the French Marans here there was hell to pay regarding the change in diet.
    Fat Bird for example would look at me in total disgust when I offered a bit of tuna as a treat; 'where are my frogs legs' she demanded.
    So, there you have it, conclusive proof that diet is genetically determined. I mean seriously, you try feeding some Italian chickens hamburgers and see what happens.
    Fish and chips is the answer. Go steady with the vinegar and remember to leave them in the newspaper wrapper.:p

9. Nordiclaura

May 10, 2019
    Thing is I don't live by the seaside so they won't taste right, they will complain about the print on their beaks aswell. If there had been a tub of wotsit's or monster munch clearly I would have had that. I spent ages filing out the right size hole aswell.

Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 10:26 AM
    Chickassan, Sequel and Shadrach like this.
  10. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    Ah, I understand. I don't suppose the frozen stuff will do. Just go with the chips then. I get queues outside my door on chip days. Even the French lot turn up.

Sequel likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: