**They arent laying...everyday...**

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tripp16, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Good evening everyone! I have a question. Ok so my girls started laying last saturday and then the next day all 6 layed. [​IMG]

Well after sunday Im only getting 3 eggs a day until today..... I only got 1! Which I think came from my older hen who was already laying.... [​IMG]

Is this normal for them not to lay everyday?? [​IMG]

If not....whats going on?! [​IMG] I waited a looong time and now its time for them to start paying rent!! [​IMG]

I would still love my girls even if they didnt lay another egg in their lives, buuuut I would still like some! [​IMG]

Thanks in advance!! [​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Very typical, and it partly depends on the breed. Some breeds may only lay 12 eggs a YEAR, while other breeds lay 6 eggs a week. New layers may lay sporatic initially, but should level out within a week or two. What breeds do you have?

3. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:I have a mix! Haha

I have...
    1 BR
    1 RIR
    2 EE
    1 Golden comet (lays everyday)
    1 BO

Thats it for my big breeds/ ones that are old enough to lay.

I always though they were good laying breeds. [​IMG]

4. wannabchick

wannabchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    Trach1rus- said it so true- very very very typical.

I have chickens lay every day for a week then twice a week then 5 times a week..all doing something different..now I swear my red star has never stopped laying from the day she started. My silkies, serema and amerecaunas,, do it like when they want too..hehehe
    Xoxox

5. acarter26

acarter26 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    Baldwinsville
    I have RIR and white leghorn hens, all 20 weeks old. Some days they all lay an egg and some days a few of them decide they don't want to. I think what your seeing is normal [​IMG]

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I have...
    1 BR
    1 RIR
    2 EE
    1 BO

Yes, all of your breeds are known to range from med - excellent layers. So assuming they receive ample layer feed and act as if they're happy and healthy, they should each be laying anywhere from 3-6 eggs a week per bird. If all have started laying, I would expect to find anywhere from 3-6 eggs in the nest each day (come winter time or molting times that will decrease a bit). Are they contained to a run?? In other words, no chance that they are laying elsewhere???

7. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina

I have...
    1 BR
    1 RIR
    2 EE
    1 BO

Yes, all of your breeds are known to range from med - excellent layers. So assuming they receive ample layer feed and act as if they're happy and healthy, they should each be laying anywhere from 3-6 eggs a week per bird. If all have started laying, I would expect to find anywhere from 3-6 eggs in the nest each day (come winter time or molting times that will decrease a bit). Are they contained to a run?? In other words, no chance that they are laying elsewhere???

Yes their contained in a run so they couldnt be laying anywhere else. I check the run everyday. Maybe they just have on and off days. Luckily I have 2 that lay regulary! [​IMG]

8. hudsonhousechicks

hudsonhousechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Austin
    woops. Sorry!!!!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by