**They arent laying...everyday...**

Tripp16

Songster
8 Years
May 26, 2011
North Carolina
Good evening everyone! I have a question. Ok so my girls started laying last saturday and then the next day all 6 layed.
wee.gif

Well after sunday Im only getting 3 eggs a day until today..... I only got 1! Which I think came from my older hen who was already laying....
idunno.gif

Is this normal for them not to lay everyday??
hu.gif

If not....whats going on?!
barnie.gif
I waited a looong time and now its time for them to start paying rent!!
lau.gif

I would still love my girls even if they didnt lay another egg in their lives, buuuut I would still like some!
gig.gif

Thanks in advance!!
big_smile.png

Very typical, and it partly depends on the breed. Some breeds may only lay 12 eggs a YEAR, while other breeds lay 6 eggs a week. New layers may lay sporatic initially, but should level out within a week or two. What breeds do you have?

Quote:
I have a mix! Haha

I have...
1 BR
1 RIR
2 EE
1 Golden comet (lays everyday)
1 BO

Thats it for my big breeds/ ones that are old enough to lay.

I always though they were good laying breeds.
hmm.png

Trach1rus- said it so true- very very very typical.

I have chickens lay every day for a week then twice a week then 5 times a week..all doing something different..now I swear my red star has never stopped laying from the day she started. My silkies, serema and amerecaunas,, do it like when they want too..hehehe
Xoxox

I have RIR and white leghorn hens, all 20 weeks old. Some days they all lay an egg and some days a few of them decide they don't want to. I think what your seeing is normal
smile.png

Quote:
I have a mix! Haha

I have...
1 BR
1 RIR
2 EE
1 BO

hmm.png

Yes, all of your breeds are known to range from med - excellent layers. So assuming they receive ample layer feed and act as if they're happy and healthy, they should each be laying anywhere from 3-6 eggs a week per bird. If all have started laying, I would expect to find anywhere from 3-6 eggs in the nest each day (come winter time or molting times that will decrease a bit). Are they contained to a run?? In other words, no chance that they are laying elsewhere???

Quote:
I have a mix! Haha

I have...
1 BR
1 RIR
2 EE
1 BO

hmm.png

Yes, all of your breeds are known to range from med - excellent layers. So assuming they receive ample layer feed and act as if they're happy and healthy, they should each be laying anywhere from 3-6 eggs a week per bird. If all have started laying, I would expect to find anywhere from 3-6 eggs in the nest each day (come winter time or molting times that will decrease a bit). Are they contained to a run?? In other words, no chance that they are laying elsewhere???

Yes their contained in a run so they couldnt be laying anywhere else. I check the run everyday. Maybe they just have on and off days. Luckily I have 2 that lay regulary!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom