They aren't pipping! Am I worried for nothing!?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Orpington2813, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Orpington2813

Orpington2813 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2014
    Ok this is my first time hatching eggs and today is day 21! It is 10 o'clock and no pipping so far. I have 12 eggs. I candled them all before "lock down" and they all looked great! Should I be worried? When I put them in 21 days ago I did it in the evening so does that mean they will hatch this evening?

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Don't panic :hugs

21 days is just a guide line and not set in stone. First thing did you count the day you set as day 1 or after a full 24 hours of incubation? Have your temps been ok during incubation?

3. Orpington2813

Nov 13, 2014
    After a full 24 hours and yes the temp has been perfect through out the incubation. [​IMG]

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Just give them time and try to be patient! I know this is far easier said than done but sitting on your hands is all you can do now :highfive:

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I wouldn't worry just yet. Are you sure your thermometer is accurate? Even a degree low can possibly delay the hatch a bit. Even when using a broody - where the conditions are perfect - the hatch doesn't always occur "on time". As Yorkshire said, it's a guideline, not a timetable set in stone.

6. Orpington2813

Nov 13, 2014
    Thanks everyone! [​IMG]

7. StokesChickens

StokesChickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2014
    Stokes, NC
    Be Patient , don't worry. Hatch time can vary with breed, temp humidity . Keep humidity up and don't open incubator !!!!!

8. Orpington2813

Nov 13, 2014
    Still nothing!

9. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Do you have full confidence in your thermometer? There are a lot of different things that can affect when an egg actually hatches but temperature is critical. I’m hoping your incubator is just a tad cooler than you think.

Also if it is a still air, where you take the temperature is very important. In a still air the temperature should be 101.5 on top of the eggs. In a forced air the temperature should be 99.5 and the same no matter where you take it. I like forced air.

I’ve had eggs hatch a full two days early, in an incubator with the right temperature and under a broody. Some people have had them two or three days late. Don’t do anything drastic yet but just be patient. It’s a lot easier to say that when mine normally hatch a bit early, when mine are actually on time I’m starting to get concerned. You still have a good chance. Good luck!

10. Orpington2813

Nov 13, 2014
    I used another thermometer to make sure the one that came with it was right. It is forced air and It kept it the perfect temp the whole time. They are heavy breeds so I thought it might take a little longer but I'm getting worried. Every time I candled they looked great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by