1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

They ate ouy of my hand!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChrystalGail, Jun 17, 2007.

1. ChrystalGail

ChrystalGail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Casa Grande, AZ
    I have 15 mix breed 3 week old chicks and 2 1 week olds. I went out this evening to give them their kitchen snacks (strawberry tops) and I wouldn't let them have any until they ate out of my hand. It took them about 4-5 minutes before they would finally try it and once one did they all rushed me for a bite. [​IMG] It was very cute. The funny thing is the little 1 week olds were at the front of the line the whole time and didn't give way to the gigger chicks at all. Very cute. This was the first time they actually took food from my hand. We are on our way to having some tame little chicks. I've only had them for about a week, so I am very happy with our progress.

Thanks for listening... I am just excited and wanted to share my success with someone who cares.

Chrystal in AZ

Our Flock: 2 Black Australorps, 2 light & 3 dark Americaunas, 3 Barred Rocks, 2 Buff Somethings, 2 RIR, 1 Dorking, 1 Partridge Rock and 1 White Lace Red Cornish

Not to mention 2 horses, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 1 Holland Lop (Bunny), and 2 fish tanks! Plus, we are getting two pigs in a month or so... Oh yeah, and my human family: Sweet Hubby, 3 1/2 year old son, 1 1/2 year old daughter and a 2 month old daughter!

2. Jsto

Jsto Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    North Carolina
    Congrats on the progress! It's great when you start to see the chicks warming up to you. You're on your way to have some nice lap chickens, methinks [​IMG]

3. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    Awwww .... [​IMG]

That's great, and congratulations!

What I found with mine is that all it took was one to be friendly, and the many of the others got brave enough (or learned what was going on) from watching her. I still don't have all of them eating out of my hand, but about 2/3 of them will.

Wishing you continued success! (And I think I'm going to try the strawberry tops too ... looking for more variety for my little ones!)

trish

4. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    [​IMG] Yeah for you! It's always nice when critters let you feed 'em!

5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Keep feeding them snacks - the added benefit (besides well-rounded nutrition) is that after my hooligan little babies got used to taking snacks from my hands for many weeks, they are starting to climb on my forearms and lap. One even lets me pet her softly on the back while she's on my lap.

For all the people despairing of their babies ever turning into mellow lap-sitters, just be patient.

6. ChrystalGail

ChrystalGail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Casa Grande, AZ
    I had just been so discouraged, because I had 6 SLW and 1 EE that were about 5 weeks old and very tame, but they got killed by our neighbors dog. It was a sad day for me. So of corse when I got this bunch in I wanted them to be just as tame, but they were not used to people at all, so it has taken a little while for them to mellow out. I am just grateful that they are finally comming around.

BTW they LOVE the strawberries and they are very juicy and full of vit. C. Very good for us and the babies!

Thanks.... Chrystal

7. edbama2

edbama2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Slocomb, Alabama
    Isn't it great! I just finally got my ducklings to eat out of my hand today too! It is nice feeling appreciated for all the time and work you put forth to all the pets! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by