They cant be...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sneaky Chicken, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Sneaky Chicken

Sneaky Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2016
    The Garden State
    I got my two Black Copper Marans, Dottie & Priscilla, at around 6 weeks old. As they grew, I started to questions whether or not they were actually BCMs. Theyve got BEAUTIFUL blues and greens in their feathers and I thought at one point that if I held them in the sun just right, I could see the slightest hint of copper on their heads/necks. Can someone clarify if its possible for them to be BCMs. If they are not, what could they be? Also, dont mind their resting b*tch face! [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I know getting the correct copper color is a challenge for breeders, so you can't necessarily go by that.

That said, they do look a little off to me. I have only my hens to compare to, but mine are fluffy and looser feathered, and broader, with less upright tails.

I think these birds have yellow skin? Hard to tell in the pics. Marans are white skinned birds, the legs look pink. And I know there are clean legged Marans, but I'm always leery of them unless I see parent stock and eggs.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    marans mix ?? or hatchery stock

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  4. Sneaky Chicken

Jul 12, 2016
    The Garden State
    They are only 3 months old so they still have some growing to do! They should be the first to lay eggs, though bc they are my oldest girls.

Their skin is more white than yellow, sorry about the pic! Maybe I can get a better one and post that so you can get a better look.

This is my first rodeo so when you say "clean-legged," do you mean legs without feathers?

Thanks for your help!

5. Sneaky Chicken

Jul 12, 2016
    The Garden State
    What is hatchery stock?

6. Cel45

Cel45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    From a hatchery and not a breeder.

7. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Where did you get them from?

8. Sneaky Chicken

Jul 12, 2016
    The Garden State
    A first time hatcher.. she didnt breed on her own. Her friend bred them. She told me ahead of time that she couldnt guarantee they were BCMs bc she didnt breed herself. Im okay with that.. I dont mind if they arent BCMs. Im just curious to know!

9. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not the greatest pics, just what I had on my phone. My ladies are also quite a bit older, they are 4 this year.

10. Sneaky Chicken

Jul 12, 2016
    The Garden State
    WOW!!! They are BEAUTIFUL!!!! The one on the bottom looks almost gray, unless its just the way the light is hitting her. I love how fluffy and chunky they are! I cant wait till mine get to be that big. Although Im loving every stage! I miss my babies, but the older they get, the more entertaining they are!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by