1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

They come in the night

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Gearmpr, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Gearmpr

Gearmpr Out Of The Brooder

Mosquitos and gnats. Tons and tons of them. Is there anyway to rid the coop of them? Or is it even a big deal? My birds are free range most of the day, they only come into the coop to roost (if that makes a difference). Thanks for y'all's help!

2. Free Spirit

Free Spirit The Chiarian

Oct 21, 2015
    NWA
    Is there standing water (water that has been sitting a while and not refreshed daily)? Is there left over scraps uneaten (fruits and veggies)? Reason I ask is those are two things that will attract Mosquitos and gnats. If there is, then cleaning and removing those sources should clear up the problem.

1 person likes this.
  3. Gearmpr

Well there are, but they aren't in the roosting area, I keep those out in the yard and run area. But suppose I could try to move them farther away

4. Gearmpr

The water will have to wait since I still can't use my knees yet to crawl to it :p

5. abenardini

abenardini Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2015
    I have the same problem (maybe not a huge amount of the bugs,) but I have no standing water at all in the coop - no water in there in fact. Very strange.

6. Gearmpr

Yea I think they might be attracted to the poop too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by