They come out of the turner today

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Buster, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I have 12 viable eggs left in my HB 1588 that come out of the turner today. I had originally set 23 but seem to have had the following problems:

1) This is my first hatch in the Hovabator from my own eggs.
    2) My "Head Rooster in Charge" isn't slacking in the breeding department.
    3) I've been through two power outages in this hatch.

I can't wait to see how many hatch. All things considering, I'm pretty excited.

2. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Sending good hatching vibes your way! [​IMG] [​IMG] Mind me asking where you bought your 1588 from? I'd like to buy a good used one this upcoming yr.

3. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:I bought the 1588 straight from the manufacturer (GQF). I ordered it and the turner from their website on MissPrissy's recommendation. She has a great story of outstanding customer service from them.

4. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Wonderful, thank you so much! [​IMG]

5. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Quote:Cutler supply usually has one of the cheapest prices on them, and ship quickly. If I were buying a styrafoam incubator I would buy new.

6. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I just went down to candle the eggs and remove the turner. I separate the eggs that aren't growing to a different part of the turner on day 14. Well this hatch, I had 11 clear and 12 viable so I had split them at opposite ends. I got confused as to the good ones vs the bad ones so when I took the turner out I began candling the eggs that I had put on the mesh in the bator and realized that they were the clear ones and the good ones were still sitting in the turner that I had just taken out (total time= about 30 seconds). Anyway, that could have been disastrous if I had been in a hurry and didn't have time to candle. [​IMG]

7. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Buster, what breeds are you hatching? Being nosy, sorry. [​IMG]

Sara, thank you very much for your response. Guess it would be better to buy new rather than used for many reasons. Thanks again! [​IMG]

8. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:Well, this winter I am hatching to experiment how to get the best hatches out of my incubator so I am hatching a lot of mutts since I integrated all my breeding pens into one flock (and one project pen) for the winter- easier to take care of.

Anyway, most are going to be Buff Orps and Buff Orp crosses, plus a couple of projects involving my Black Orp rooster.

In the Sportsman I borrowed I have BBS Orps from MissPrissy, silkies from BamaChicken for Bammony, mutts, and quail.

9. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Yeah, mutts is all I'd get too since all of mine are in a big covered run. We have a Buff Orp roo, 2 Silkie roos & 2 Amer Game roos. I need to rehome the 2 Amer Game roos though because our BO roo chases them sooo much, but he doesn't bother the Silkie roos. The Amer Game roos are sweet though, gonna have a hard time getting rid of them. But IMHO I think that mutts can be very pretty.

10. Bammony

Bammony Red-dress-less

Aug 15, 2008
    Salina, Utah
    [​IMG] Here's to a great hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by