They come Wednesday!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Malbri, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Malbri

Malbri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2008
    Bowdoin
    My chicks are coming wednesday! I am freaking out with last minute things. I set up the brooder last night, the best I can get the temp is 93*, is this good? I have the bottom covered in paper towels, but they slide alot, but I had a ton of extra fleece that I was going to put a layer in the bottom. I have a waterer in there, and im gonna get some marbles to put in it. I went to wash my feeder and broke it yesterday, so im buying a new one today. I'm also buying the food today, do I want medicated or not? Anything else im forgetting? Also, how much should I get(for 12 chicks)? And one last question: My room is about 70 degrees during the day, would it be okay to let them loose in my room for a while to stretch their legs while im there?(there is nothing for them to get into, the only places with wire are behind my fish tank and entertainment center, both of which I have made impossible for them to get behind).

2. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    You want the medicated feed. Get it in a 50lb bag its only $13 as opposed to $3 for a 5lb. Thats how much it is around here. We just keep it in a trash can so nothing can get into it. I try to let mine out every day. I would just do a few at a time though. What kind are you getting? Congratulations.

3. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    your temp is fine in the brooder.with 12 chicks youll be ok buying the 25lb med feed.an i wouldnt let loose in your room.they are to lil.an they will mess all over the floor.

4. Malbri

Malbri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2008
    Bowdoin
    Quote:I wouldnt worry about the mess, it can be cleaned.

Im getting Wyandottes, Black Stars, Gl Cochins, NN's, and an assortment of feather leg standards

5. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    youll have lots of fun with the chicks.

6. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:I wouldnt worry about the mess, it can be cleaned.

Im getting Wyandottes, Black Stars, Gl Cochins, NN's, and an assortment of feather leg standards

The mess can be cleaned, but take it from someone who has had to do it. It is NOT fun or easy to clean up! There poo is sticky and when it dries, it is like glue. Terrible stuff to clean up! Just a warning!

7. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    I usually let mine run around the room 3 at a time. that way its easy to follow behind w a baby wipe. Some of mine that really like to be held dont poo often because they know that means they might get put back. They are starting to get potty trained.[​IMG]

8. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Okay, mine come Wednesday too. TSC didn't have medicated feed though. Should I go search town to get medicated feed? How long do they stay on the medicated?

thanks,
    CG

9. wefanjr

wefanjr Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2007
    MA
    I kept mine on medicated started feed til they started laying. About 20 weeks and then switch to layer pellets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by