They did it again, gave me a rooster, I ordered a hen!

Peppercorngal

Crowing
Feb 5, 2018
Feather Falls, CA
Murray McMurray just doesn't get my order right. Last year I ordered 4 Columbian Wyandottes, one rooster and 3 hens (along with other chicks) . The rooster had a cross beak, he lived and was beautiful except for the beak. I ordered 3 barred rocks too. One of them was a rooster! The Wyandotte boy we named Elwood P. Dowd and for the 2nd half of Cody's (formally Margaret, the barred rock rooster) life he got chased around whenever he approached a hen! Elwood was killed by a dog and after that Cody got real mean, dangerous mean. He was a coward and attacked when you were not looking. He drew my blood too many times to mention. Bears came in October and wiped out my flock except for 2 Rhode Island hens. So this year I order all girls, no rooster. Guess what? Yep, one of the black giants is a rooster! Why me? Just venting. Thanks for listening. Sorry for all the photos. . . .

Edwood grown with crossbeak small.jpg Elwoods cross beak close.jpg Cody who was margaret small.jpg rooster and the hen small.jpg Elwood III small.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0240.JPG
    DSC_0240.JPG
    301.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Cody's look small.jpg
    Cody's look small.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 8

Folly's place

Enabler
9 Years
Sep 13, 2011
southern Michigan
Pepper, at least maybe this boy will be worth having! I do like the Jersey Giant hens, although I've never had a cockerel that I kept of this breed. I've heard that they tend to be nice.
MMcM never sent me unexpected males,; I usually ordered straight run, so planned on cockerels and was ready for them.
We did get bantam Brahmas one year, rather than standards, so they sent the big birds later. Nice, but chicken overload!
Mary

Peppercorngal

Crowing
Feb 5, 2018
Feather Falls, CA
Your barred rock rooster is a Dominique. Maybe stop ordering from Murray McMurray. I haven't had a single sexing error from MPC, though maybe you just have bad luck.
I have had bad luck for sure. That is the other issue, Murray sends breeds that aren't that breed I think! No worries, the Dominique is dead along with all the rest now. I have 26 new chicks to raise so I can get back in business again. I won't order from them again. Hopefully I won't have to, I hope our new coop is bear proof.

Peppercorngal

Crowing
Feb 5, 2018
Feather Falls, CA
Pepper, at least maybe this boy will be worth having! I do like the Jersey Giant hens, although I've never had a cockerel that I kept of this breed. I've heard that they tend to be nice.
MMcM never sent me unexpected males,; I usually ordered straight run, so planned on cockerels and was ready for them.
We did get bantam Brahmas one year, rather than standards, so they sent the big birds later. Nice, but chicken overload!
Mary
I didn't want a rooster because I can sell eggs at the feed store if they are unfertilized and I sell eggs. But really I don't mind a rooster as long as he is friendly. I've had other roosters that were fine. See, Murray does other people right, why not me? Just kidding :lol:

nminusyplusm

Crowing
Mar 29, 2017
Deming, NM
Your barred rock rooster is a Dominique. Maybe stop ordering from Murray McMurray. I haven't had a single sexing error from MPC, though maybe you just have bad luck.
I had one out of 7 turn out to be a cockerel, ordered from MPC but shipped from Meyer. MPC was cool and did refund me at 10 weeks but of course feeding and rehoming the guy cost me money and time.

drumstick diva

Still crazy after all these years.
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Aug 26, 2009
Out to pasture
How horrible to see that bear with the poor chicken. One bycer has a lot of Bears around. She used firecrackers to send them on their way. Now if she Just opens her door, they take off. Of course you have to see them first.

Many folks swear by high powered electric fencing. Bears don't get shocked if their fur touches the wire. They need their muzzle/face to touch the wires. People (turn off fence first) put strips of aluminum foil on fence and smear the foil with peanut butter. Bear smells peanut butter and tries to take it. Next second bear is running for its life.

Would rather see that imagine on your camera. So very sorry for your loss.

Top Bottom