They did it! I guess we hold off on cooking duck!

furbabymum

Songster
7 Years
May 6, 2012
Burns, Wyoming
WE HAVE OUR FIRST DUCK EGGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif

They've been locked in the barn with the other poultry thanks to the owl threat. We have a light we leave on in the barn to keep the chickens laying. Looks like it worked on the ducks! I'd been threatening my husband for months with eating the ducks if they didn't lay. Yay!

WE HAVE OUR FIRST DUCK EGGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif

They've been locked in the barn with the other poultry thanks to the owl threat. We have a light we leave on in the barn to keep the chickens laying. Looks like it worked on the ducks! I'd been threatening my husband for months with eating the ducks if they didn't lay. Yay!
Congrats on the eggs, and Congrats to the ducks for missing the dinner bell.
big_smile.png

Congrats on the eggs, and Congrats to the ducks for missing the dinner bell.
big_smile.png
I'm rather glad I don't have to off one really. lol Though we have 2 boys and since I've no intention of having baby ducks I think I'd have offed a boy first. We've never eaten duck. I was slightly intrigued.

er... yay for the ducks? most don't lay this late in the season, i believe some breeds do but ducks are more commonly seasonal layers.

I'm kinda dreading the spring, i have 8 ducks who'll be laying talk about eggs! lol
hide.gif

er... yay for the ducks? most don't lay this late in the season, i believe some breeds do but ducks are more commonly seasonal layers.

I'm kinda dreading the spring, i have 8 ducks who'll be laying talk about eggs! lol
hide.gif
I've been searching trying to find out when do ducks lay.
Are the seasonal?
What season do they usually lay?

I would like some info if anyone knows
Cheers

It's definitely the ducks. They were both may and june babies and are just laying now. I'm guessing it's all the artificial light.
Don't forget that just like us humans the ducks need to rest their bodies from egg laying. I particularly don't recommend artificial light since I like to give my flock a rest through winter, but everyone has to make their own decision about that.

Don't forget that just like us humans the ducks need to rest their bodies from egg laying. I particularly don't recommend artificial light since I like to give my flock a rest through winter, but everyone has to make their own decision about that.
It's to keep the chickens laying and to discourage the owl. If it weren't for the owl they wouldn't be locked in the barn with the light. Can't change that.

Hope I'm doing things right then. My two Rouens started laying about 2 or 3 weeks ago I believe and I have a heat lamp I will turn on for them if it gets below freezing...and it has been a lot lately. I wouldn't want to overwork them but I don't want them to freeze either.

Back
Top Bottom