They didn't even bother to write a law?

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by tiki_chickens, Jan 7, 2010.

1. tiki_chickens

tiki_chickens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2009
    Anaheim, CA
    So I've made a call to pretty much every department in Orange County, CA. This is the ONLY regulation:

"In addition to the required setbacks in sections 7-9-127, 7-9-128, and 7-9-137, pens, cages, and
    other structures specifically for keeping animals, other than in the residence, shall be located at least
    twenty-five (25) feet from any residential window located on an adjoining building site. Exceptions to
    the above may be provided for by a use permit approved by the Zoning Administrator. (Informational
    note: The types, number and manner in which pets and animals are kept is to be regulated, if at all,
    via the Health, Sanitation, and Animal Code by the County Health Officer.)"

The thing is, every department says to contact the Health Office, but the Health Office says, "We don't deal with that kind of thing unless you sell it." So, what? There's no laws? I can have as many chickens as I want? I've pored over every line of zoning code and this is all anyone can say: 25 ft from your neighbor's window.

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Well as long as nobody complains, you could probably get away with anything!!

Just try to keep the neighbors happy, don't cause any problems, stick to the 25 feet rule, and consider yourself blessed!!

3. tiki_chickens

tiki_chickens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2009
    Anaheim, CA
    I'm thrilled, too. Because the Anaheim laws (which, I live in unincorporated so they don't apply to me) say that yu can only have 1 chicken for every 1,500 sq ft of land. I'd only have maybe 3 chickens.

4. possumqueen

possumqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    Yep. As long as nobody complains. . . . don't ask, don't tell.

My neighbor complained once, and the county sheriff's department/animal control made me get rid of my chickens.

I have since learned that the city of Monroe, where I live, overrides the county rules and says I can have three chickens.

heh heh heh.

The chicken tractor is under construction

Nothing like a law to back your rights. Don't ask don't tell can only go so far.[​IMG]

5. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    try doing an internet search on local ordninance. If you are not in the city, the county will apply to you. Just calling the different departments probably won't get the right answer- they don't know or care. Do search your local ordnances before you put a lot of money into it.

6. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    It is very likely that it is unregulated if you live out in unincorporated. It's that way where I am. How many chickens I can have is dictated only by common sense.

7. 1stepcloser

1stepcloser Poultry In Motion

Sep 16, 2009
    Dover, TN
    [​IMG] Yah some jerk w/nothing better to do complained about my hens. City Ordinance came out and said the law stated NO STRUCTURE USED EXCLUSIVELY for housing livestock (inc. chickens) shall be within 300 ft of the property line. Fine. We got rid of the exclusive structure. They now hang out under our deck and wander into our "garden shed" when they feel like it. The inspector guy is coming to visit tomorrow. Maybe I should bake some cookies? [​IMG]

8. myway57

myway57 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    blanchard La.
    [​IMG]:clap:clap

9. 1stepcloser

1stepcloser Poultry In Motion

Sep 16, 2009
    Dover, TN
    Thank you! [​IMG]

10. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Quote:Be certain to have some garden tools or supplies in the garden shed. Nothing like rubbing salt in their wounds ;-).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by