They die at day 18 everytime!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PulletSurprise, May 8, 2009.

1. PulletSurprise

PulletSurprise Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Salem OR
    I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. This is my 3rd time trying to hatch and I can't seem to do it. Day 18 arrives, I candle, and they're all alive. Day 24 arrives, I open them up and they are all dead. The yolks are still there, looks like they hadn't begun to absorb the yolks. I cant seem to keep the humidity up unless I keep the red plugs in. The humidity only seems to get as high as 62. I even put a humidifier right next to it and it has no effect on the humidity. I aim a fan (from across the room) in the direction of the incubator so air is blowing on it. What am I doing wrong? Does ventilation matter more than the humidity? Should I keep the red plugs out and just keep the water bowl, wash cloth and sponge in there and whatever the humidity is...is? Oh Im using the LG without a tuner. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    I have no answers for you as I am on my first hatch. Just wanted to say sorry you are not getting any to hatch. [​IMG]

3. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Ventilation is more important than humidity. Do a search of this area for "ventilation" and there's a VERY good thread on it.

You're suffocating them. You're better off dry hatching, or water trays and sponges and cloths but they need air. All the humidity in the world does no good if they suffocate.

Hang in there.

4. DANNY

DANNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
    It sounds like extremely low temperature. have you double checked your temperature?

5. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    yes they need the ventilation, what kind of bator are you using?

6. Dirt Road

Dirt Road Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Southern Idaho
    Based on what you are saying, I would guess you are operating with too high humidity throughout the process. A good way to test this theory would be to weigh the eggs every few days with a gram scale. they are available quite reasonably. Eggs need to lose aprox. 13% of their fresh weight during incubation, in order to hatch. If they do not lose sufficient weight (water) during incubation they will develop but are unable to move enough to proceed. Another way of course would be to run a few test eggs with a lot lower humidity. Too high humidity is a VERY common problem during incubation. High humidity only helps them to actually pip and break out by softening the shell. Don't give up, you just need to experiment a bit.

Jim

7. gaeamama

gaeamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2007
    WMass.
    Can someone explain the ventilation?

I too have been having low hatching success, the latest time in my Circulated Air Hova-Bator. I was thinking the humidity was too low, as I noticed two small holes on top of the bator were uncovered (not the vent holes, the smaller ones for a screw to go in). I'm going to get a hygrometer and try another batch any day now!

8. DANNY

DANNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
    Would that stop them from absorbing the yolk? It sounds like they are not progressing fast enough and eventually die.

9. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    On a forced fan incubator, you do not remove any of the plugs. There are holes all along the bottom of the hovabators to allow for proper ventilation (plus the fan which continuously moves air in and out of the bator). The plugs are there to adjust for humidity.

If I had to guess based on the very limited information, I would say your thermometer/hygrometer is inaccurate. Get a new one (or two) and put them all in there and see what it shows. With a humidifier right next to the bator, the humidity would have gone up. I use humidifiers in the winter to bring my humidity up in the incubator room and it works well...sometimes too well.

It's back to the drawing board..but please start with the instrument you're using. I'm sure you'll find it is off.

10. jhart101

jhart101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    Pullet, I'm right with you... [​IMG]

I just lost 4 of 6 @ day 19/20...twice this has happened to me so I know how dishearting it is. I was sooo looking forward to these Silkies. Hoping to have better results 3rd time around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by