They do the Chest bump

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MuranoFarms, Jan 7, 2010.

1. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    When I let my 2 week olds out of the brooder to play, 2 of the Marans and the JG run at each other and do chest bumps. [​IMG] They launch themselves up in the air and collide with each other like teenagers at a football game! What in the world are they doing? Does this mean their roos? None of the other chicks want anything to do with this behavior. It's so funny to watch.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  2. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    PLease don't say that means they are roos!!!!! All 4 of my 4 week old EE babies do this. Its so freakin funny to watch them. Its like watching a chicken football game!!!!

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I've had little girls "slam dance" with each other. Doesn't necessarily mean they are roos.

4. purpledonna

purpledonna Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
    My girls chest bump... and lay eggs! [​IMG]

5. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Oh good! I'm glad to know it's doesn't mean they're roos! It sure is funny to watch.

6. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    Nah, it's just a way of sorting out pecking order without actually fighting. My girls do it all the time--and my roo doesn't do it at all. I guess he's just secure in his masculinity. [​IMG]

7. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

My girls do it al the time...its funny to watch [​IMG]

They run around flapping their wings, then fluff out their neck feathers and THUMP each other lol Then its like nothing happened...they go wandering off. Silly Birdies!

8. greenbeandreams

greenbeandreams Chillin' With My Peeps

My girls do it all the time too. Its too funny!

9. xC0000005

xC0000005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    Kirkland, WA
    My six buff orpingtons all played the world's largest game of Joust when they were chicks. Not a roo in the bunch. The only roo I have in my run right now (who goes to the dinner pot saturday) never did the bump. Ever. I don't think it means anything one way or the other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by