they don't eat the cracked corn!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Bram, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Bram

Bram Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    Southeastern Illinois
    My girls do not eat the cracked corn in the scratch mix! Do your's like it? I used to be sick about it...it is mostly cracked corn and all of it seemed to be wasted on the floor. The I started having mice, which isn't a BIG problem flor the girls...they LOVE mice! Problem is just for me, I HATE mice. Anyway, the point to this post is: can I buy a scratch grains mix with less cracked corn, or is there something else I can feed in place of scratch? I really hate seeing my hard earned $$ on the ground being trampled.......guess I'll need to get a goat??!!

2. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Mine aren't too thrilled about it either.

3. Clay Mudd

Clay Mudd Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    South MS swamps
    How old are they? For some reason, none of mine liked corn all that much until about 14 weeks.

Almost any grain works well as scratch -- mine go wild over any combination of wheat, oats, and BOSS.

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Ya know what, cracked corn is only about 7% protien. Scratch isn`t much better. You should be feeding at least 14%-20% protien in a commercial feed. They can live on scratch, but their health will suffer in the long run. Buy the best feed you can afford.........Pop

5. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Mine are about 8 months. I just toss it in the grass of my fenced area and coop run now (as an extra), hoping they will stop wanting to venture into the wooded areas looking for bugs and stuff.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  6. newchickgal

newchickgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2009
    Republic of Panama
    Mine will eat it, after they eat the grain feed.

7. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Are you feeding them scratch as their only feed? Chickens should be fed a layer ration with at least 15% protein.

8. marty8587

marty8587 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    Mine go after the corn and come back after the rest the next day. I give them about 1/3 cup in the evening for their treat.

9. ruffedgrouse

ruffedgrouse Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Central Pennsylvania
    Mine didn't seem to eat cracked corn until like 13 weeks. I don't know why... maybe because they were to small or something but they like it now.

10. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I'll add another voice of concern about whether your scratch is being used as feed (very poor nutrition) or just as a morning/evening treat...

If you're talking treat - my girls didn't really care for scratch at all until they were around 12 weeks or so. But once they figured it out, they didn't seem picky about the parts...lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by