They don't like fruit

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by coolcanoechic, Feb 8, 2012.

1. coolcanoechic

coolcanoechic Chillin' With My Peeps

Today I tried raspberries. They spit them out. They don't like fruit. The only fruit they will eat is bananas when I disguise them in some oatmeal with honey. Strange birds. The only fruit they love is tomatoes. Anyone else have fussy birds?

2. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Nope mine will pretty much eat anything. Can't think of anything they turn their noses up at. I have alot of hens too so maybe that's the difference.

3. coolcanoechic

I'll bet the competition makes them less fussy! [​IMG]

4. queenchick16

queenchick16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    My girls love grapes

5. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    mine are picky eaters.

6. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    Mine will usually go for anything. Sometimes it takes a second try, or leaving the new food with them for a while. They usually "nibble" a new food once, then seem to reject it. They're a lot like toddlers. Here are a few things that mine wouldn't eat at first, but now run to:

bananas
    cooked potato
    mashed potato
    rice
    pears
    marigolds
    raspberries
    peas
    cabbage
    grapes

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Consider this. When my confined birds are fed a low protein ration dominated by 15% crude protien layer pellets supplemented by scratch they do not seem to have a keen interest in fruit unless very hungry. Same birds when fed a higher protein grower ration really go for fruit, especially grapes.

8. coolcanoechic

That's very interesting.
    The treats they eat first are always cheese and meat. These girls get layer pellets and an ocasional handful of sctatch with some BOSS mixed in. Once a day, when I get home from work, I bring them a treat and let them out to scratch around for about an hour.
    For what it's worth, I now know they will leave my raspberry bushes alone this summer...lol [​IMG]

9. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Do your girls like yogurt? Try mixing some fruit chunks with yogurt. They'll go in for the yogurt, but learn to love to fruit.

Have you tried apples? Watermelon?

10. Chesca

Chesca Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2012
    Wichita
    I was wondering what kind of fruit they might like. I'm going to grow corn and tomatoes for the chicks this summer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by