They don't like it. What do I do

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by terrilhb, Jan 11, 2011.

1. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Started my chickens on layer feed. They are RIR's and just turned 6 months. But they are barely eating it. Will they get used to it. This is my 1st time with chickens. Thanks ahead for any help and ideas.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Chickens object to anything new. Would have worked better to mix them together and gradually switch them over. But they will eat when they get hungry enough. If you are also switching from crumbles to pellets, try crumbling up some of the pellets into the feeder and mixing them in.

They won't starve, really. Consider it a protest.

3. terrilhb

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Thank you so much. I just worry to much I guess. Chickens are funny babies.

4. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to the world of chickens!

I started with chickens last summer and blogged about my adventures. You can find helpful/amusing links to my blog on my BYC page.

My flock was not very fussy about the layer pellets. They started liking it after a week. I think they mostly dislike change.

5. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

thats a good idea to mix it in and sneak it in on them.. mine are about 14 weeks.. do you think its too early to start mixing in a bit of layer? I think 16 weeks was what I read about giving it to them, but if its mixed in and gradually increased.. well that sounds good to me.. anyone see any reason not to?

6. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Quote:Depends on the breed of chicken. For early layers like Leghorns you can start mixing in layer with their feed at 16-18 weeks of age and take a week or two to change over completely. Heavy dual purpose hens can wait longer--sometimes 6 months or more to start mixing layer in their chick feed. The calcium in the layer feed is not good for young kidneys and really doesn't need to be added until they actually start laying. This means you don't really have to start mixing in the layer feed until you actually see eggs! [​IMG]

7. terrilhb

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    thank you chickerdoodle. They are RIR's. I have been getting eggs. Never knew chickens could be so picky. Heck my dogs, cats, goats and some other's are picky enough. Now chickens. But I love them. [​IMG]

8. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Depends on the breed of chicken. For early layers like Leghorns you can start mixing in layer with their feed at 16-18 weeks of age and take a week or two to change over completely. Heavy dual purpose hens can wait longer--sometimes 6 months or more to start mixing layer in their chick feed. The calcium in the layer feed is not good for young kidneys and really doesn't need to be added until they actually start laying. This means you don't really have to start mixing in the layer feed until you actually see eggs! http://www.pic4ever.com/images/128fs318181.gif

barred rocks...guess thats a heavy dual purpose...

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I agree with Dawn. Chickens can be the biggest brats.
    Try throwing some of the pellets on the ground in their pen/yard, in place of scratch. My birds love anything thrown on the ground, even if it is the same layer pellets that are in their feeders. [​IMG]

10. girlonbike

girlonbike New Egg

Dec 30, 2010
    We just switched to pellets and they are not liking it at all. I'll use that trick and crumble some up for them. Hopefully that will help them transition over.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by