They don't like me very much

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickenrandomness, Jul 3, 2011.

1. my chicks don't like me much. i want to have chickens that love me, my last batch ran from me always even as adults [​IMG]

i pick up the chicks, i look at them so they'd get used to me, but they still don't like me! like, i'll pick up Carla (leghorn), she complain, then look around and will jump right back in with the other chicks if i let her
    'thats like the same with the other chicks except Lacey and Scoot (SLW and RIR). Lacey will let me pick her up and hold, she seems to like me a bit. Scooter hates me, she will try to jump out of my hands even if she don't know where she is

what do i do to tame them?

2. NewChickMomma2011

NewChickMomma2011 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    Annapolis Valley
    From what I have heard, patience, treats and lots of time spent with them. Good luck with them.

3. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    I have found that certain breeds just don't like people. Welsummers love to be held but Aurucanas don't. Maybe its just in their genetics.

4. Moerose

Moerose Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    Alachua County, Florida
    Patience, my friend. My Barred Rock loves it when I hold her. My Araucana doesn't particularly care for it, but will tolerate me. They also went through this creepy teenage girl stage where they didn't even want to know who I was. So, keep feeding them from your hand, keep holding them, and they'll come around.

5. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Treats, treats, treats. Not giant pieces of treats but lots of little treats that require them coming to you. As adult hens not all my girls love to be cuddled, but most of don't mind being picked up and they are all happy to see me [​IMG]

6. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    Depends on the breed and how much time you spend with them.

7. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    I believe it all depends on the breed. I have 2 barred rocks that love to be loved. I have a Columbian Wyandotte that screams and runs when she thinks I will pick her up and a brown Leghorn that is very skittish. I have a hard time just getting next to her. I have read that RIR are great egg layers but not too friendly. Same for Leghorns. But there is always hope. Keep giving them treats and spend as much time as you can with them. Good luck.

8. Peeps38655

Peeps38655 Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    Oxford, MS
    treats treats treats!

My girls come running when I call chick chick chick and break out the wal-mart brand giant strawberry yogurt. A few heaping tablespoons in the evening and they run up to me anytime I squat down at their level. (they think it is treat time)!

9. Quote:my white leghorn is getting used to me, she fell asleep on me durning nap time! my Wyandottes like perching on my finger, my RIR don't like being picked up and both EEs downright despise hands XD

10. what do i give them as treats?! i've tried cabbage, but they don't know what to do with it; they pick it up, but drop it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by