They don't like their new food???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Kimmiejean, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Kimmiejean

Kimmiejean Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    Last week I went and bought a different brand of layer mash(it was on sale). Some of them also started laying eggs last week - woohoo! They just don't seem to eat as much of it as the previous brand I purchased...any ideas? I'm new to chickens, just want to make sure my girls are getting what they need. I normally give them 2 treats a day bread for a treat in the morning, sometimes peas or cooked carrots, lettuce or raisins at night. My husband will also throw in grass after mowing the lawn. Do you think I should be worried? They seem to act ok, they are NOT free range chickens.

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I wouldn't worry about it. Chickens eat anything and everything it seems. I have switched between Dumor and Purina Layena sp? with no noticable differences. Maybe they got too much "other" stuff and just weren't as hungry.

3. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    Quote:I would not be worried they will pick there feeding back up to a normal amount after they get used to the new feed.

4. Kimmiejean

Kimmiejean Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    Thanks for your replies, I guess I'll wait and watch and see what happens. Now that some of them are laying I wouldn't want to do anything to stop progress [​IMG]

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    If they are eating it, stop worrying.

Different brands of feed contain different nutrition. Some is easier to digest or will contain a better source of protein and they will eat less of that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by