They don't roost!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mikee1948, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Mikee1948

Mikee1948 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    Why don't my chickens want to roost? I have a elevated piece of 2x2, before that a hefty piece of tree limb. They just rather hunker together in a corner of the coop.

2. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

How old are they and what breed? I've read that Silkies don't generally roost.

3. katschicks11

katschicks11 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2011
    Edwardsville, IL
    My girls are doing this too. They are 5 month Australorps, but I just got them three days ago. Tonight was the first night they put themselves into the coop for bed, I'm hoping that soon they will start to use the roost bar. It would make cleaning easier, because I have a poop board under roost bar....BUT no POOP on the board. [​IMG]
    GIRLS!!! Soon would be nice...Please

4. binders

binders Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2011
    When I first put my chickens in their coop they would sleep in the nest boxes and then I read that you should not let them do this, so I closed the boxes off to them. For several nights I would go out and find 3 -4 out of 7 roosting and the rest on the floor. I picked up the ones on the floor and would put them on the roosts. I did this for several nights and I was slowly finding less floor chickens. It was never the same ones on the floor, which I found very interesting. Well they are now 20weeks old and I am hoping that we will have a need for the nest boxes, so I opened them back up. Now they are sleeping in the boxes again!!!![​IMG] I again tried to move them up to the roosts but they are wiser and more patient than I am. I would move one up and another would jump down. We had quite commotion in the coop last night! I was too tired tonight to fight with them. Guess I will be cleaning out the boxes in the morning. It's not like they are being used for anything else!!![​IMG]

5. vclark321

vclark321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Bonney Lake
    I also have a 2x2 for the girls to roost on. They slept on top of the nesting box, below the nesting box, in the straw on the floor...you name it. I tried a couple of times to put them back on the roost, but I got tired of it. I just didn't worry about it as long as they are comfortable, I just don't care. Guess what? Now they all sleep on the roost bar!

The same thing happened with the nesting box. They laid everywhere but there. I gave up and just let it be and now they lay in the nesting box. Silly girls. I have had mine since April and they are all doing well and on a routine and seem to be getting a handle on things. Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  6. katschicks11

katschicks11 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2011
    Edwardsville, IL
    I just want to update, I've had my girls 3 weeks today and last night was the first night they slept on their roost. [​IMG] oh happy day.

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Mikes, be patient. They WILL roost, eventually. It takes daytime practice and lots of confidence to balance above the ground whilst asleep!

8. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Quote:You're preaching truth there! I'd be leery of learning to balance in my sleep too. Young chickens like to sleep in puppy-piles, and will turn to roosting in their own sweet time. I've never had any luck with rushing them [​IMG]

9. ChickenTeen13

ChickenTeen13 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2012
    My 4 Chickens (none of them Silkies) doggie pile in the nest boxes too! Glad to know I'm not alone! They are already laying, but tonight i tried to closed off the nest boxes and i hope they will learn to sleep else where. I plan on getting up early and removing the barracade. I hate constantly cleaning the boxes.

10. ChickenTeen13

ChickenTeen13 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2012
    My chickens are finally roosting! I'm so proud! I hung a curtain over the nest boxes last week and they have slowly began to stop sleeping there! Maybe this discouraged them from sleeping in the boxes? Or are they just growing up?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by