They don't seem to eat their grit...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by pipsqueekPDX, Nov 4, 2011.

1. pipsqueekPDX

pipsqueekPDX Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2011
    Portland
    my chickens have a tray of grit available to them in their run next to their food and water, but they don't seem to eat it. They have access to dirt on the ground in their run, but it's soft soil that I don't think would function as grit. I'm worried they're not getting enough grit, but how do i get them to eat it? Shouldn't they naturally want it/know they need it?

2. adgcountrygirl

adgcountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sometimes mine don't seem to be all that into the grit. Then, one day I'll notice they are out of it and I will have to put out more. Mine also "free range" the fenced in yard when I'm home though, and I'm sure they get non-store-bought grit in the yard too. You'd be surprised at how they find what they need when they need it. (Also, remember they don't need to eat grit every single day, just when the old grit passes from their system. They replace it as needed.

3. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

x2 what adgcountrygirl said,

You provide it 'free choice' and they will use it when they need it. (same for oystershell, or crushed eggshells, but they will probably use more of that).....
    You can trust them to know what they need and what is good for them.

4. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I've found they won't eat anything till they're ready for it. Just leave it out for um.

chefvayda likes this.
  5. chefvayda

chefvayda Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2017
    My pullets are 13 weeks today when should I give them oyster shells. They are still on their chick starter along worth treats?

6. jolly wattles

jolly wattles Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2017
    West Tennessee
    We will have a full dish layed out for a couple weeks untouched. Then one day go out and BAM. Dish is empty.

7. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    16 weeks is a good time to offer oyster shell or crushed limestone, chefvayda. 20160819_102752.jpg GC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by