1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

They don't seem to eat

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Larry in Hawaii, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Larry in Hawaii

Larry in Hawaii Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2015
    Big Island, Hawaii
    We have had chickens off and on over the years...have 4 hens and a roster for the past couple years and the past few days i noticed they do not seem to eat the food I have given. Yea we also give them veggies from our garden every few days, but they always ate some of the chicken food we gave, but not now. Anyone have a clue to why this is happening?

Thanks, Larry

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They prefer the extras. They will eat their regular food when they get hungry enough, if that is all there is to eat. The extras are fun for them and even healthy in limited quantities, but the feed is a balanced formula in terms of vitamins, minerals, protein, etc.

3. Larry in Hawaii

Larry in Hawaii Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2015
    Big Island, Hawaii
    So is it best to not feed the "extras" for a few days...yea they really love the veggies and give me heck when I don't give any.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by