They figured it out!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by smallcitychick, May 13, 2010.

1. smallcitychick

smallcitychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Central Washington
    On Monday I moved all the chickens from the brooder to their brand new coop. These are my first chickens and I had read on here that they needed to figure out to actually go inside at night and that I might need to help them a big. Well it took 3 days of me putting them in their coop in at night and shooing them out into the run in the morning, but this morning when I went out to check on them ALL of them were outside! Everyone figured out how to get inside last night but the 2 cochins. I hope they follow everyone else tonight, but we'll see. I'm just tickled they learned something new [​IMG]

2. Backyard_Chicken_rancher

Backyard_Chicken_rancher Chillin' With My Peeps

It is great when they learn that as well as new things isn't it?

[​IMG] good work I would check on them for about a week after it gets dark just to be sure they are all in, next you will need to teach them how to roost.

3. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    Chickens are so cool !!!!![​IMG]

4. LindseyM12

LindseyM12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. smallcitychick

smallcitychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Central Washington
    yeah, they still haven't figured out the roosting thing? That might be a little harder for them to get. We'll see I guess.

And we'll definately be checking on them at night for at least a week, and probably longer. I've assigned my 6 year old and 4 year old to help me check the chickens each night (my DS gets the even days and my DD gets the odd days) and they are LOVING it! DS was bummed yesterday when he didn't get to pick any chickens up and put in the coop [​IMG]

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I love it when things go smoothly. Sounds like they are all well on their way! [​IMG] Enjoy them!

7. Carpe DiHen

Carpe DiHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    El Dorado County, CA
    Mine are going out in two weeks. It's nice to hear how it's going for other first timers!

8. dawnchick

dawnchick Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2010
    You might have to show them the roost, too, or just wait til they are older (near full size,) but they'll catch on to that, too, IME.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by