They Finally did it! Tell me they get bigger.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by moenmitz, Oct 19, 2008.

1. moenmitz

moenmitz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Finall found THREE eggs this morning- no idea which of the 19 hens laid them, but woo hoo! They are 19-20 weeks, barred rocks, turkens, white Giants, speckled sussex & buff rocks-only thing, the eggs are really small, they look hysterical in our brand new jumbo egg cartons. I am hoping that laying small eggs is common for beginners...and they will be at least of normal egg size eventually...right? Or are any of those breeds known for laying puny eggs? My money is on the Barred Rock, turken or Sussex being the layers since they have been doing alot of squatting lately and seem to be getting the majority of the rooster lovin....

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Awwwwweee! You got a fart egg! [​IMG]

Gees I still can't say that without falling on the floor laughing... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    when they first start laying they are small, but they should increase in size. Bantams lay small eggs. You'r lucky to have eggs, mine are 23 weeks and still are not laying.

4. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    Don't worry they will get bigger. It is very good for them to lay small eggs to start (pullet eggs). They will work up to bigger eggs. If they lay to big of an egg to soon you could end up with a blow out and you don't want that.

5. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    The little ones taste just as well and the big ones! I just have more...mmmmmm!

6. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    why dont eggs taste like chicken?

7. moenmitz

moenmitz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Oh good! That is what I figured, but thought I would double check. How long does it usually take for them to get to standard sized eggs?

8. backintime

backintime Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    Northern Wisconsin
    Skeeter, you got me thinking, so I posed your question to my husband. He laughed and said, "Ask Skeeter why milk doesn't taste like beef?!"
    [​IMG]

9. backintime

backintime Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    Northern Wisconsin
    Moenmitz, when I found my first egg from my HEAVY brown egg layers, it was the size of a robin's egg! I ran into the house and logged on to BYC, hoping to find pictures of others whose first prize egg was the size of their thumbnail, but alas . . . only the JUMBO first eggs get their pictures posted on BYC!

10. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    ROFL,I dunno thats a good one though

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by