They finally like me!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by amyc, Apr 26, 2009.

1. amyc

amyc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Jefferson, Wisconsin
    So my little SLW and polish chicks have thought that I'm the devil for the last week, but now they're starting to change their mind and actually <gasp> come and eat chick starter out of my hand. I was beginning to think they would never like me, but one of my polish will actually try to climb up my arm to roost on me.

Now I've got to try to teach my little boy how to move slowly and quietly so they'll come and eat out of his hand (slow and quiet are not in that 7 year old's vocabulary!).

2. Pete's Chicks

Pete's Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2009
    Near Madison
    How did you do it? Our chicks are about 3 weeks old and I really want them to come to me. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Jo

3. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

4. chwoey

chwoey Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Congrats. [​IMG]
    I know what you mean about the 7 year old.
    My neighbour, who I babysit, wants to see my chicks all the time, but shes 7 and just scares the poor things.
    [​IMG]

5. amyc

Apr 19, 2009
    Jefferson, Wisconsin
    I think it was just food in the hand and patience (I'm an adult still trying to grasp the whole patience thing).

But, as a coincidence - yesterday I sold 8 chicks (long story, but they weren't what I wanted and I wouldn't have room in the coop for them) - so maybe my other ones thought they better shape up or that they were going to ship out too!

6. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    That is awesome!! Keep up the good work. [​IMG]

7. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    two ways i have found to tame them, sit on their level, and, give them baths..... its hilarious, they melt in your lap....

8. amyc

Apr 19, 2009
    Jefferson, Wisconsin
    If I'm talking on the phone (which I do a lot of) - I go into the chicken room, I think that helped them get used to the sound of my voice.

9. quenston

quenston Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Wyandotte Ok
    I spend alot of time with my chickens they have become my life, and probably spend more time with my chicks than my older ones, and my wife makes fun of me because I talk to them like they are my kids lol but they seem to really like me becaue they come a runnin when I come into the room. As far as kids!!! My sone is 9 and he has ADHD and my chicks will run and hide when the hear him!!!!!!

10. amyc

Apr 19, 2009
    Jefferson, Wisconsin
    Quote:LOL! I've jokingly called my 7 year old the poster child for ADHD since he was born. Being quiet and calm is really difficult for him around the chicks - especially when they start flapping or running around, but he's learning. I'm hoping the chicks will help teach him a little more restraint!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by