They Fouught to the Death! Update with pics..

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wbruder17, Oct 13, 2011.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I came home from workk today and one chick was dead, bloodied and torn apart. and the other has a huge gash in its neck! There was blood splattered and smeared alll over the side of the crate. (very large dog crates) They were hatch mates, togetther since birth with 7 otther chicks. I just seperated them into 2 groups to give more space. They were in the crate with 5. I know they re-establish pecking order...but to the death? Of course the dead one was the prettiest one. The one I was going to keep!

Damn! This REALLY, REALLY, REALLY stinks.

The Victor has been seperated and is in shock. Has a heat lamp and teddy bear, H2O, food. Applied Bluu Kote to the wound.
    Today, has NOTT been a good day. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I'm sorry this happened. I don't think they actually have the intention to fight to the death, but if they peck and blood is drawn, they will go after the blood relentlessly. Not totally sure of that...

It sounds like overcrowding may have been an issue?

Again, sorry for your loss.

3. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    How old were they? Sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  4. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    3 weeks. Defiinitely not overcrowding. The crates are big enough to fit a german shepherd standing up.

5. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Are you sure that there isn't something else that could have gotten to them? A cat maybe? I can't believe that 3 week old chicks with plenty of room would kill each other....

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:Above very much worth considering. Also consider dietary protein too low. If cannibalism, then perps are those not harmed.

What breed is involved?

7. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Not accusations but there has to be more to the story your not aware of. This is very different kind of story you hear.

8. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I know! Its CRAZY. No, I don't think anything else could have gotten it. Nothiing could have gotten its paw iin througgh the slots.. They were sparing a bit last night, but nothing chicks don't do normally. Honestly, I've raised many, many chiicks. Not a newbie. Its mind baffling, but it happened.

9. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Definitely enough protein. They get mediicated chick feed and scrambled eggs.

10. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    There was defiinitely a fiight all throughout the crate.. all over the walls, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by