they get to full term then die!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by streemers, Mar 24, 2009.

1. streemers

streemers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    port orchard,WA
    3 out of my 4 duck eggs have made it to full term then died. i did open 1 of the eggs that didnt make it and it was fully developed and looked like it could get up and start peeping. i have 1 left in the bator it is 29 days now and no sign of movement at all. any ideas on why they make it so far but never hatch? also my temp has been a little low could it be that this last 1 is just moving along a little slow? i cant figure out why they die.
    any ideas would be wonderfull.....[​IMG]

2. Jamie821

Jamie821 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Niota, Tennessee
    Full term death usually is from humidity issues or temp. If from same parent birds can be a prob in genes. What was the humidity the first part and then what did you raise it to for hatch. What temp and is it a still air or fan forced. Do you have oxygen flow vents are they closed or open. Do you have a hydrometer in the bator so you know humidity and was it calibrated.

3. streemers

Oct 13, 2008
    port orchard,WA
    the humidity has been around 34% until the end then 50%. the temp has been around 93-99deg. i closed most vents 3days ago still 2 small 1's open. i raised it 3days before the hatch date. it is a still air bator. hydrometer has been in place the hole time but it has not been calibrated. how would i do that? oh and eggs are from my 3 ladies

4. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

That is too low for duck eggs. For my ducks, I have them at 40-50% until you stop turning, then I bump it up to 65% or so for hatching. For my chickens, I have them at 40% until day 18 and then I bump them up to about 55% for hatching. For my geese, I had them at 65% until I stopped turning, then I bumped it up to 70% and the last few days, I will bump it up to 85% and I also keep my temps at 99.5-100 at all times. 93 is too low!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2009
  5. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    Quote:Still air should be closer to 101.5 to 102 degrees. Also with duck eggs your humidity should be at least 60% and some prefer 70% for hatching.
    I think your biggest problem is your temps are WAY to low.

6. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    humidity for ducks:
    50-55% Day 1-end of turning
    (mist w/ warm water once per day, day 4-end of turning, while open to turn them)
    70-80% for hatch
    still air temp- 101F
    always leave some vents open, I shut the big ones when i stop turning, until they are out of the shells, then open so they fluff up.

what variety of ducks? some take 28days usually and with low temps...longer! Don't crack any more yet!

7. streemers

Oct 13, 2008
    port orchard,WA
    i knew everything was way to low but i figured that if they were doing fine then they would be fine. guess i was way wrong. thank you all for your ideas i will get working on it but i think i will give this last egg a day or 2 longer. dont think it will hatch though:(

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Symptoms ...Probable Cause & Corrective Measures

Chicks
    fully formed, but dead without pipping

Low average humidity Maintain recommended humidity for species of bird incubated.

Improper incubation temperature
    Check thermometer accuracy and incubator functions. Follow recommended temperature settings.

Improper ventilation in incubator
    Adjust ventilation to provide optimum moisture-loss rate from egg during incubation.

Improper turning of eggs
    Turn eggs at least three times daily until 3 days prior to hatching.

Chilling of eggs
    Gather eggs frequently and store under proper conditions.

Diseased or poorly conditioned breeder flock
    Conduct a good disease control and breeder management program. Use a well-balanced nutritional diet.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9. streemers

Oct 13, 2008
    port orchard,WA
    so is there a chance this last 1 will make it?

10. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Humidity was too low.

It should be 50%, and then 3 days before the hatch bump it up to 70-80%

Also, what breed were they?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by