1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

They grow up so fast!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Henicillin, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    My fourteen big kids (nine weeks old today) moved out to their newly finished coop tonight, as their fat, feathery butts were seriously overcrowding their dog pen, and they were stinking up the garage. Consternation ensued at first until we threw some alfalfa to them, which made them very happy. I hung around for a while until they seemed comfortable, then shut off the overhead lights and left, as my presence tends to make them think, "hey, Mom is visiting - cool," which isn't exactly conducive to settling down for the night. They have a decorative solar-powered LED light rope strung around the ceiling which provides dim light so that they aren't in total darkness yet. With my luck, they're out there holding a midnight pullet rave.

I also integrated my two younger groups into a single batch, which makes me quite happy, as now there will only need to be one big coop integration, not two. The littles and the not-quite-so-littles have been living side by side in clear tote brooders for two weeks now, and apparently are quite used to the sight and sound of one another. They kept getting into one anothers' brooders when I cleaned up or changed food and water, and nothing ever happened other than the babies trying to jam themselves under the bewildered older chicks, so I said "the heck with it" and put them all in one big box. They all stared at one another for a while, and then went about their business, so it went well. I think the Sussex chicks were actually more afraid of the babies than the other way around. I just checked on them, and everybody is sleeping nicely, so it's all good. [​IMG]

2. TMDee

TMDee Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2011
    Speyside, Scotland
    Aaaaw - congrats [​IMG] Hope they all had a good night! Solar light is a good idea!

Our numbers are a lot smaller - we are just having them as pets with an eggie bonus [​IMG] But I now have 2 outside and 4 chicks inside in a brooder. It is Summer holidays here now and so nice for kids to be handling them so much.....but I just know come the end of the holidays they will all be ready to move out! Gulp!!

3. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    Hope the chickens had a good first night out on there own. The question is How did you do last night knowing they were out there??? LOL!! I know when mine are old enough and have their first night out, I will probably be up all night and keep on checking on them.

4. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    lorain's fids :

Hope the chickens had a good first night out on there own. The question is How did you do last night knowing they were out there??? LOL!! I know when mine are old enough and have their first night out, I will probably be up all night and keep on checking on them.

You won't be the first. [​IMG]

5. Jake the Farmer

Jake the Farmer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2011
    Menifee, CA.
    Congrats Henicillin![​IMG]
    I hope their first night out was great. My 7 girls had their first night out last night as well, so I guess we're in the same graduating class [​IMG]
    Everything went fine with mine. I checked on them right before bed, and again first thing this morning. Everyone was up and about before I got out there today. I am going to keep the girls in the coop for a few more days before I open their door to their run. Hoping they will learn the drill and go home on their own when the time comes.

-Jake

6. fluffandpuffchicks

fluffandpuffchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Have fun with your chickens! Im building a solar panel for my RIRs and Leghorns coop and maybe one for my EEs coop. We will use it for their lamp and to heat their water in the winter. Lets hope it works!

7. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    Thanks, kids! I moseyed down there at about 1 AM (I'm a night owl), and they were all sound asleep. They were happily throwing around shavings this morning, and seem quite pleased with the new digs. We did open the pop door to see what they'd do. Six of them promptly crammed themselves into it and took a nap. It was hilarious - I need to take a photo of that, as they barely fit. [​IMG]

I did have to separate the littles from the not-so-littles, as there seemed to be some disagreements over food and water. Nothing major, but I didn't want things to have the chance to escalate, so they're all split up again. Oh, well - nothing ventured, nothing gained!

I DID keep thinking, "How are they? Are they scared? Is a bear ripping off the side of the coop and having dinner as I sit here? Are they too hot?" Nah - they were fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by