They hatched 2 days early with 3 power outages..need feed help!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by DFCottage, Sep 11, 2011.

1. DFCottage

DFCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Montpelier, Virginia
    So this is my first time hatching quail, and due to some issues yesterday I was unable to stop to get their high protein starter.. So was going to pick something up monday (they werent supposed to hatch until Tuesday!). I had lost power for 24 hours on day 2, then 2 more times for 4 hours each, one of those times during lockdown. So you can imagine my surprise here to find babies hatching this morning! My feed problem: its Sunday, and few feed stores are open. I do have kitten food, but only medicated starter that I have for my chickens. There is 1 southern states open but they only have a 22% starter. I think there is a TSC open but its quite a hike from here.. Do you think I can get away with that 22% starter for a day w/ ground up kitten food? Or should I try to get out to the TSC to see if they have a higher protein feed? Thanks!!!

2. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    if you are 100% sure that you can get it tomorrow(the one you want that is) i'd just give them the 22% for a day...its not gonna kill them, then go out tomorrow and get the best you can buy.

3. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Feed them the 22% starter without kitten food and they should be fine until the higher protein feed. The southern states will be great for when they are older so you can save the bag info for that time.

4. DFCottage

DFCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Montpelier, Virginia
    Wonderful, thank you! Gonna head out in a few to the SS.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by