They Hatched!!! 3 silkies hatched this morning!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kezabel, Dec 4, 2009.

1. kezabel

kezabel Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm so excited(and worried) this is my first hatch. My broody bantam Fiffie is sitting on 6 silkie eggs... I just went down and after being pecked madly by her I got an egg from under her and I put it to my ear and I could hear pecking on the inside.... YAY [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] well at least I know one is going to hatch. I haven't candled them at all because I don't have a strong enought torch
    Her is my beautiful broody Fiffie on her eggs... Oh does anyone know what breed she is? I thought she was a buff cochin but she has a pea comb and 5 toes on one foot.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  2. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Congratulations on the chicks!

3. KKatknap

KKatknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I am so excited for you! Beautiful little mommy-to-be! Good luck to you both!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  4. kezabel

Thanks so much guys. I think I'll check more eggs and see if they are making noises. I 'm so excited I can wait for hubby to get home from work. I'm thinking of ringing him to tell him lol. I'm just worried about the cat now since they are in the coop and the door to the coop is open all day. I have a box set up for them if I have to move them. Oh I'm just so excited wooohooo woohoo

5. kezabel

I checked a few more eggs and One was chirping and another was making noise in the shell I listened to 2 others but couldn't hear anything, so far I think I'll get 3 out of 6 eggs hatch, Oh I can wait!!!!! I'm ment to be going to a birthday party tomorrow afternoon but I don't know now lol I wanna be here when they hatch. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. kezabel

I'm worried about my cat getting the chicks when they hatch... Do ya's think mummy hen will protect them? I'm also worried about them falling down to the ground from the nesting box, Its about 40cm of the ground. I have included a pic to show how far the nesting box is off the ground
    [​IMG]
    The coop is a lil dirty in this pic.(Clean now) You can see fiffie sitting on the eggs. I was wondering where in the coop I should put the chicks food and water too?
    Sorry for so many posts and questions but I'm so excited and this is my first hatch.

7. kezabel

anyone? Please

8. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    When my silkie hatched out her five they never left her side for a couple weeks,by then they were old enough to go down the ramp.But that is a long fall if they strayed away fro mom,I would watch the cat around the babies,if anything tried to get near my silkie babies the mom would have taken at them.She wouldn`t even let us near them.Good luck with the hatch

9. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I would remove the cat! Cats are quick ... that's why the catch mice.
    Don't let the cat anywhere near, or it could mean dead chickies!
    Good luck!

10. kezabel

Oh they are so cute! [​IMG] [​IMG] I went down this morning to let the girls out(6:30am), I wasn't getting my hopes up before I checked under Fiffie but just as I touch her I heard "cheep Cheep" and then a lil head popped out Yay!!!! Then I heard more cheeps and seen another, I pulled out 3 open eggs from under her but so far I can only see two chicks because she's pecking me like crazy. They were both still a little wet so they must of just hatched this morning. I don't know if I should move them into a box now, I'm still worried about the cat I have a box set up but not sure if I should move them and mum because then I'll have to intergrate them back into the flock of 3 other hens.
    I'll get pics as soon as I can. I'm so excited!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by