1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

They Hatched Early!!!! Yikes!!! PICS ADDED!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by skeeter9, Jul 28, 2007.

1. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, let's see, where to start!! I have had 2 broodies sitting on a total of 22 eggs in separate nests. This batch of little ones was due on Monday (8/1?). I put them to bed on Thurs night and everything was perfect. When I went to check on them Friday morning, one of the nests was empty!!! The broody that was normally sitting on it was on the ground trying to cover a little peep and the other broody was in her nest as usual with all of her eggs intact. AT this point I haven't gotten the coop done for them, so they are still in the coop with 7 other hens and our roo. I figured I could finish their coop on Sat and all would be well. Obviously I was wrong!!! Where in the world did all the eggs go? They vanished without a trace!! The only thing I can figure is that when the other hens or roo smelled the one baby hatching they attacked the rest of the eggs???

So, needless to say, I am sick that this happened, but I am determined to protect the rest of the eggs. I leave the house with my teenage girls to go get the rest of the wood, etc we need to finish the coop and while we're gone my husband calls and says that one of our Shepherd/Lab mix pups (8 months old) killed our rooster. Now, you have to understand that this is a very nasty rooster and we have tried everything to enable a peaceful coexistence with him, but he is just evil, so I'm not exactly heartbroken over his demise, but I did want to wait until we had another roo ready to take his place before we got rid of him. . . Oh, and by the way, up to this point that particular pup has only gone after the rooster if he attacked us, so I'm not sure what happened, but I'll bet he thought he was doing us a favor. Even so, we are taking the appropriate steps to make sure he doesn't become a chicken killer.

Anyway, when the girls and I got home we busted out behind until late into the night finishing the coop and making sure our ladies and babies would be safe. We got them all situated and everybody seemed happy. While we were building the nest 2 more chicks hatched, leaving 2 eggs unhatched. By the time I got out there this morning, one more chick had hatched. This afternoon I went out and the hens had been fighting and had torn each others faces all up. It also appears that they had trampled one of the chicks. So now I took one of the broodies out of the new coop and put her back with the other hens. She's not very happy, but at least they won't be fighting and killing chicks in the melee. Now there is 1 egg left that hasn't hatched - I picked it up and put it to my ear and low and behold there is a tap-tapping and peeping coming from this egg!! Will miracles never cease??!!!

These chickens are making me crazy!!! LOL!!!!!

Lori

PS - sorry if this jumps from tense to tense, etc - I'm trying to hurry up so I can get to a BBQ!!

Edited - Here are some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2007
  2. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    Wow! Congratulations on the chicks, maybe the one will hatch tonight.!!!

jackie

3. Motherhenandflock

Motherhenandflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
    Hatching eggs! Amazing!
    Take a deep breath and wait for more chickies!

4. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

The last egg hatched last night and the little one is doing well!!!

All done hatching for now. I just have to see if I can help the little weak chick to gain some strength. . .

Just spent some time in the coop with mom and babies - it's so fun to watch them teach their little ones how to survive. She is fine with me sitting right with them and picking them up, so I'm hoping they will be as tame as all of our other chickens are.

Gotta love those little ones!!!!

Lori

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by