They hate me today....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by katharinad, Aug 10, 2010.

1. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Ok, today was the day to put leg bands on. This means they were only let out into the small pen, and they knew something wasn't right. Girls were quite vocal about it. [​IMG] They are still upset about it and fighting with each other. No hard fighting, just more bullying around. My husband grabbed one at a time and carried each one over to me. I gave them a full inspection of feet, mouth, eyes, etc, and put their nice little plastic rings on. I still see them nipping on the leg band, so they don't like their new jewelry for sure. Girls have their bands on their right foot, and the boy on the left one. I thought I had two ducks with bumble foot, but it turned out to be false alarm. [​IMG]
    I thought they had it because I watched them swim and it looked like it. On closer inspection those two only had small calluses, which are normal. I guess that had some real good dirt stuck to them in the water and it wasn't coming off. [​IMG]
    I better give them some extra treats today, so they will forgive us for the manhandling. [​IMG]

2. chikky

chikky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    Glenmont, Ohio
    Silly question, but why do you band them?

3. katharinad

They are all the same breed and a lot of the girls look the same. This way I can keep track of them and log in a book their progress, health etc. I'm using plastic rings with numbers on them that wrap around their leg and can be taken off when needed.

They have forgiven me now, especially after I feed one half of a water melon to them.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  4. chikky

chikky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    Glenmont, Ohio
    Ahhh, got ya. Watermelon sounds like a good way to make up [​IMG]

5. javajanie

javajanie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Southern MD
    Glad to hear they have forgiven you already! [​IMG]

6. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Only half a watermelon - they couldn't have been too mad!

7. katharinad

[​IMG]
    The 9 we have always have enough after half a melon. They actually get less because we are feasting on it too. [​IMG]
    They just love to eat out of our hands so it is a family event. Dogs get actually locked up in the house, because they want to be part of it. As a result they go ahead and raid the cat bowl, and the cat gets nothing. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by