They have Corid but chicks still fluffing up and dying!

rlhagan56

Songster
11 Years
Mar 10, 2012
Out West
These chicks are 5 & 6 weeks old, their coop is warm and clean, clean water, grit for the egg they love, medicated feed, all clean. I clean out and add clean shavings every other day, or now that snow is on the ground, add a layer to the floor. All have been vigorous and active, they eat, drink and take in grit very well. Last week one was fluffed up and sleepy, I immediately added Corid to their water and using a dropper treated this one. It died overnight. So for 8 days now the others have been on the Corid, all healthy and doing well. (I sit with them for about an hour each day to observe).

This morning another is fluffed up and sleepy, I know it will die too! What is going on and what else can I do? I have never lost chicks, this coop was thoroughly sanitized ( I am a germophobe) before they went in, they are warm with no drafts, but air flow above. No other chickens, no access to outside. I am at wits end!

I am using 1/2 tsp Corid to a gallon of water, is this right?

Last edited:
These chicks are 5 & 6 weeks old, their coop is warm and clean, clean water, grit for the egg they love, medicated feed, all clean. I clean out and add clean shavings every other day, or now that snow is on the ground, add a layer to the floor. All have been vigorous and active, they eat, drink and take in grit very well. Last week one was fluffed up and sleepy, I immediately added Corid to their water and using a dropper treated this one. It died overnight. So for 8 days now the others have been on the Corid, all healthy and doing well. (I sit with them for about an hour each day to observe).

This morning another is fluffed up and sleepy, I know it will die too! What is going on and what else can I do? I have never lost chicks, this coop was thoroughly sanitized ( I am a germophobe) before they went in, they are warm with no drafts, but air flow above. No other chickens, no access to outside. I am at wits end!

I am using 1/2 tsp Corid to a gallon of water, is this right?
No, the 1/2 teaspoon dose is wrong, and always has been. Correct dose is no less than 1.5 teaspoons per gallon for 5 days. How is your math, I can show you why it's not 1/2 teaspoon if you're interested.

-Kathy

I was just going by the dosage decided on, on another thread,"Need Help With Corid Dosage". Dang it, THANK YOU WILL CHANGE IT. They have been on it 7 days. I could cry!

I was just going by the dosage decided on, on another thread,"Need Help With Corid Dosage". Dang it, THANK YOU WILL CHANGE IT. They have been on it 7 days. I could cry!
That thread has caused many people to under dose.
sad.png
My next post will show the math and science.

-Kathy

The FDA and the manufacturer say this:
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/animaldrugsatfda/details.cfm?dn=033-165
Quote:
Quote:
1 gallon = 3785 ml
0.024% = 908.4 mg per gallon
0.012% = 454.2 mg per gallon
0.006% = 227.1 mg per gallon

One teaspoon of Corid weighs 2.7 to 3.0 grams, it does not weigh 5 grams.
One gram = 200 mg

If 2.7 grams per teaspoon, that's 2.7 x 200 mg = 540 mg
908.4 / 540 = 1.68 teaspoons per gallon

If 3.0 grams per teaspoon, that's 3 x 200 mg = 600 mg
908.4 / 600 = 1.5 teaspoons per gallon

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom