They have hatched

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Willie84, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Willie84

Willie84 Just Hatched

Sep 17, 2016
    Australia
    So this is my first time hatching eggs under a mother hen. What do I do now? the chicks have started hatching this morning. I have a water feeder in the brooder as well as chick starter what are the best feeders and drinkers to have in the brooder. I'm second guessing everything now. I also have a two year old daughter who wants to cuddle the chicks is it best to give them a few days before cuddling starts? Any advice would be appreciated

2. Strickrhonda

Strickrhonda Just Hatched

Sep 20, 2016
    South Georgia
    Hi! I don't know much about raising chickens but congratulations on your new babies!

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I use the basic waterer and feeders from TSC, (Tractor supply) the kind most feed stores sell, but I put sterile rocks in mine so little chicks don't drown themselves. If you have them separated in a separate brooder there's not much for you to do. Momma will take care of most everything. Congrats on the hatchlings! As for your last question, it all depends who you talk to....lol We start cuddling once they are dry....lol We don't keep them out for long periods, but we hold and get our lovin in once they are dry and running around the brooder. However- I incubate our eggs. When we let the broody hatch, she wasn't so keen on us touching her children...lol

4. Willie84

Willie84 Just Hatched

Sep 17, 2016
    Australia
    Hi Strickrhonda thank you

5. Willie84

Willie84 Just Hatched

Sep 17, 2016
    Australia
    Yes I think she won't be too happy either maybe I should just wait and be patient.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by