they have out grown their brooder???

Sam40

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 5, 2010
I have 5 silverlaced wyandotte bantams that are now 8 weeks old. They are kept in our garage in a brooder, i usually have a heat light on at night, but have had it off for the last 2 days as i am unsure as to wether to put them outside? They have out grown their brooder.
I am worried its too cold, it about -1 at night at the moment. What do you think i should? They are fully feathered and look healthy, i think i should but them outside, but am afriad to find the dead or ill in the morning. any advise please.

You have a run and coop ready right?

If so then put 'em outside. You could use your heat lamp at night to adjust them to the weather for a few days or choose to use the lamp at night until the temps warm up into the teens. Or not use the lamp at all as they are fully feathered with rose combs and will handle the cold just as if they were adults.

Currently we're getting lows in the teens but last month it was in single digits and only on 2 occasions did some white frostbite develop in very tips of the Leghorns massive comb. Still use no heat and the birds are completely healthy. I say about frost bite and my completely non winter hardy birds for comparison. Rose and pea combs are very winter hardy! Google an image of Leghorn hens and it's easy to see why the tips of those spikes got frosty.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom