They insist on sleeping outside-ARRG!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bees-n-Chickens-KY, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Bees-n-Chickens-KY

Bees-n-Chickens-KY Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    Need some advice please.
    I have 3 French Black Marans & a little silkie, all 5 months old, that insist on sleeping outside in their coop run, rather than inside their coop/nesting area. This was fine in the summer but now it's getting colder. NOT ONCE will they go inside the secure coop/nest box area. My other 5 hens go in there and lay their eggs daily, so I know THEY like it. What gives? Should I just not worry about it?
    They are free range but I worry about predators at night (I don't close their run door).
    Anyone?

2. ChickAudie

ChickAudie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2012
    Do you think the older hens are "kicking" them out?

3. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    You would need to lock them inside the coop for a week or two for them to learn where to go to when it is time to roost. Or herd them into the coop everyday when it is time to go in. Where are they on the pecking order. Just wondering if the other birds are picking on them too much and making them feel safer outside.

4. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    Also, do you close your coop door every evening?

5. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    x2 shut them inside for a week. Once they start sleeping inside regularly they will keep the new routine.

6. Bees-n-Chickens-KY

Bees-n-Chickens-KY Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    The other hens have their own coop/sleeping quarters... they just like laying in this new coop better. They only lay in there, they won't sleep in there. When I first moved them outside, yes, they were "locked up" for about a week. I guess I can try lock-down for longer periods.

Nope, I tend not to lock their pen at night. Lazy momma : (
    Thanks for the advice, will definitely try that.

7. hollys chooks

hollys chooks Chillin' With My Peeps

My chooks free range around the backyard during the day and go back to the coop at night. Whenever I get new chooks and they are sorting out their social order there is always a few nights where tree branches get roosted on by the ones getting harassed. I just wait until it is dark enough that they obviously aren't going into the coop, catch em, throw em in the coop, shut the door and let them sort themselves out. Leaving them out lets them learn to sleep somewhere else, my way they sleep in the coop and after a few days they are putting themselves away. I've just got 2 new pullets, the first night I had to put 2 to bed, last night only one.
    They aren't clever creatures but they are creatures of habit, you just need to teach them the right habit.
    Good luck.

8. hollys chooks

hollys chooks Chillin' With My Peeps

how are things going with your recalcitrant chickens? are they going to bed like good little girls?
    finally tonight my little pullet put herself in the coop with the others. it's taken a while, i was away for nearly a week and she slept in the tree every night. being a lot smaller, my older hens have been chasing her a lot through the day. i went out tonight to get her out the tree and she wasn't there. surprise, surprise she was in the coop.
    none of my friends or family have chickens so don't understand this little victory, i had to tell someone. perseverance has had some results, hopefully she will keep it up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by