They insist upon laying in the nastiest place!

furbabymum

Songster
7 Years
May 6, 2012
Burns, Wyoming
I love how many duck eggs I'm getting. I don't love how nasty they are when I get them. How to fix this? They're usually pretty poopy. I will say they keep digging nests under the chicken roosts and I keep filling them back in. Even when they lay elsewhere the eggs aren't all that clean. What's up with that?

Do you have nests made for them? I always put nests where I want them, then put a golf ball in and leave it, forever if need be. I use upside down totes with a door cut. I also have REALLY big buckets (about 2' diameter) that I do the same with . I may switch to just the buckets as my last hatch a baby got stuck in a corner while hatching and died.

They typically won't poop in the nest but if they're under the roosts.
hmm.png

I was having a problem with my older ducklings sleeping in the nests. That was gross in the mornings.

Do you have nests made for them? I always put nests where I want them, then put a golf ball in and leave it, forever if need be. I use upside down totes with a door cut. I also have REALLY big buckets (about 2' diameter) that I do the same with . I may switch to just the buckets as my last hatch a baby got stuck in a corner while hatching and died.

They typically won't poop in the nest but if they're under the roosts.
hmm.png

I was having a problem with my older ducklings sleeping in the nests. That was gross in the mornings.
They laid in nests for awhile but stopped. Now they're digging their own. I have the deep litter method and I think they really enjoy having deep nests as they dig quite far down.

I have the same problem with my Pekins. They always lay in the same area so I always clean it but yet there is always poop stuck to them. Its like they purposely poop on them haha although it is quite annoying. I just bring mine in and wash them with dish soap (dawn) and that cleans them up pretty good. Ive even cleaned out their "nests" everyday but yet still will poop on them so I gave up.

I have the same problem with my Pekins. They always lay in the same area so I always clean it but yet there is always poop stuck to them. Its like they purposely poop on them haha although it is quite annoying. I just bring mine in and wash them with dish soap (dawn) and that cleans them up pretty good. Ive even cleaned out their "nests" everyday but yet still will poop on them so I gave up.
It's putting me off their eggs honestly. lol I got horrid morning sickness that prevented me from eating eggs for months and months and now that I can eat them again the poop is grossing me out.

Oh well I don't eat mine. I give them all away as I only have 2 females so I can't sell them as I don't get enough fast enough. No one has had a problem with the eggs. Maybe it was just the egg itself? Do you wash them off or anything?

Oh well I don't eat mine. I give them all away as I only have 2 females so I can't sell them as I don't get enough fast enough. No one has had a problem with the eggs. Maybe it was just the egg itself? Do you wash them off or anything?
It's just a really dirty egg. I do wash them off before using them. It just grosses me out ya know. I'd like to be able to pick up cleaner eggs like I do for the chickens.

Lol I was thinking the same thing this morning when I was picking up their eggs. Funny thing is I don't even have chickens! Lol

Back
Top Bottom