they just don't freerange!!! Do I need a rooster or something?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Ravishaw, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    I thought my little hens would dash out of the coop first time I opened it and enjoy the shade beneath the trampoline, the tall grass, the leaves of my citrus trees, lounging around on the perches outside their little coop.

But what do they do?

When I open the door for them the very timidly step outside, hang out in the sun for 3 minutes and go back inside the coop. There is shade for them, and I want to see them forage in the grass and plants! I want to chase them out of my wife's flowers (after they eat a few) just for fun. But MARGGG... they're just ..... CHICKEN!

2. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

they are always like that the first time. mine were like that the first time, now they run to my front yard as soon as i open the door.

3. bald k9

bald k9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    It took mine about a week or so till they went away from toe coop ,and now when i open the they all run to their preferred spots it is funny to watch! they will go farther every time they come out

4. Andi

Andi Chillin' With My Peeps

Before long you'll have a hard time keeping them in when you need to.

5. Siler

Siler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Bring them out some tasty treats and put them away from the coop where they can see them. They wander out to eat them. They may go back, but day after day keep doing it and try to get them out more and more. Before long you'll be cursing up a storm when they destroy the flower beds just like I do. [​IMG]

6. newTexan2chickens

newTexan2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Mine don't seem to like going out in the sun/heat. If it is cool they will but often they will hang out in the coop and go in and out. For some reason when I walk out there they all RUN out of the coop! Like they are afraid I am going to shut the door on them...??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by