They just had to go!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by maggiemooscluckers, Sep 8, 2010.

1. maggiemooscluckers

maggiemooscluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

I know it's only been two weeks since those cute little fuzzy butt broilers arrived but now they are pooping machines that make the whole house stink and I have been faithful to clean the litter out of the 3'x5' brooder every other day. So late this afternoon they took the dreaded but welcome walk out to the "big" house. They were a little scared but will just have to figure it all out. My only concern is the heat. I will have to watch carefully for anyone getting over heated but at least I now have my house back. That is except for the 9 little hens who have now taken over the entire brooder. In the living room of course. I guess we all have our favorites now don't we!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Personally, I'll never brood in the house again, and they were in a spare bedroom.

3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Meaties are nasty smelling eating and pooping machines for sure. I had mine in the garage, and that was bad enough. At about 4 weeks I could stand the smell any more and tossed them outside under a covered space. I think that hard part is trying to keep the pen clean. I do know that by 8 weeks or so I have no problem with sending them to freezer camp.

4. hongyush2008

hongyush2008 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2010
    shenzhen
    Quote:Me too.....

5. UGAchick

UGAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Athens, GA
    I am building and outdoor brooder because I swore I would never brood in the house again.

6. tigerkitten45

tigerkitten45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    NH
    Agreed! My husband built one in our barn, and it made the whole barn stink! I had a brooder built into the wall, in of all places, our bedroom, and it never stunk, but i was raising layers and bantams! But it was messy and had shavings everywhere, so unless it is an emergency i will not use it again.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  7. maggiemooscluckers

maggiemooscluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Well, the little " beauties" have been out in the outside coop for three days now and seem to absolutely love it. I keep them in the 6' x 12' run all day with food and water then put them inside during the night with a light. They are running, flapping their wings and just plain having fun. It seems as though they have doubled in size in three days. I know that can't be true but having them out of the house seems to have matured them. I'm never going to brood in the house again either. I will be sure and get the chicks at a time when the outside temps will co-operate with the raising of fuzzy butts. I guess it's only natural to be a little over protective with your "first chickies"!

8. bragabit

bragabit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Southern Utah
    Quote:Well, the little " beauties" have been out in the outside coop for three days now and seem to absolutely love it. I keep them in the 6' x 12' run all day with food and water then put them inside during the night with a light. They are running, flapping their wings and just plain having fun. It seems as though they have doubled in size in three days. I know that can't be true but having them out of the house seems to have matured them. I'm never going to brood in the house again either. I will be sure and get the chicks at a time when the outside temps will co-operate with the raising of fuzzy butts. I guess it's only natural to be a little over protective with your "first chickies"!

I want to put my 2 week olds in the inbetween coop. BUT I am worried about the cold. How cold are you nights?

9. Luke13:34

Luke13:34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    The Naugatuck Valley
    I was thinking about this just today.. as I was in my garage cleaning out my stinking brooder, I was thinking of all the pics I've seen on this board of tiny little brooders in people's living rooms. [​IMG]

10. UrbanChick101

UrbanChick101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Eastern Iowa
    I was feeling bad that I didn't start mine out as chicks, instead I have pullets. After reading this.. I guess I will have to be thinking seriously if I ever wanna get them from chicks - I don't like stink or messes really. I have enough with four young kids and a dog!! Kinda glad the chickens have thier own house outdoors [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by